B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Painted calipers black today,discovered something funky in the process

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear
Question Painted calipers black today,discovered something funky in the process

I got my break calipers painted black today and discovered 2 things,that may be a issue.

I saw fluid on the ground that appeared light brown in color,leaking from what i think to be the automatic transmission.

Also,both side front axles,i saw a thick black grease substance,coming from what i think is a rubber ribbed boot thingie

It didn't seem like this was suppose to happen,so i filmed it and took pics,so i can get feedback from the community. I have posted a few short clips of footage,showing the leaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8f91-UDmm4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQ8ci_19N0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1WV2dwriD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1aKHYcAkZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9XSAvHtEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBFR-eKJy7w

Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

the grease is from the outter cv joint. the rubber boot is probably ripped. common problem, happened to me, you can get replacement boot kits for cheap. i went with a complete front axle, from fcpgroton.com was a quick fix and it wasnt expensive at all. now your other leak, im not sure what that is. some one else will most likely chime in here.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Site Moderator

6 videos... Sheesh.. Here we go!

Audi uses honey colored trans fluid on automatics. Unless you changed your oil before right before this video, it would not be that clean. Your trans is definitely leaking, and find a new mechanic. I'd drop the belly pan and look at the trans pan gasket to make sure that it's not leaking from there and seeping back.

The rubber thingies are called axle boots or cv boots. They rott with age and crack, and axle grease flings out with the roation of the shaft when you drive. If you have clicking noises in your steering on sharp turns then replace the axle(s) (comes with new boots.) If no noise, get a boot repair kit.

I see a line of orange sealer or gasket maker type gunk on the trans case. Looks like it has been taken apart before and poorly put back together, or some idiot tried to seal the leak from the outside with patch work.

That guy was obviously annoyed by you hounding around him with the cam, don't ya think?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-20-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

I hear a slight noise that i confused with the steering pump,i only hear it,when i first turn the wheel,right or left but its not to the point,where its so loud,that it bring attention to itself. To be honest,i rarely hear it.

I guess there is still lots of grease in there,so no grinding is taking place yet.

I don't think it's at a point,where its causing any harm or performance issues.

I do seem to have the wheel,jerk out my hand,sometime,when driving over steep bumps,is this the reason why?

No,i didn't just change my oil,so it is the trans fluid,leaking then

can you link me to the boot repair kit and the new axles?

The guy was fine with me filming,he just didn't want to be in the shot

He's a good man,he only charged me 40.00 to paint all 4 calipers black

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by morpheous
I guess there is still lots of grease in there,so no grinding is taking place yet.

I don't think it's at a point,where its causing any harm or performance issues.
Yeah if the boot is torn harm is being caused by grease getting out, and road elements like water and grime getting in. You could just let it go until it starts making noise and then buy new axles, but a boot kit will be less than half the cost of new axles.

I do seem to have the wheel,jerk out my hand,sometime,when driving over steep bumps,is this the reason why?
No, torn cv boots won't cause this. Worn shocks or tie rod ends will exagerate steering wheel feedback, as will tires with low tread or pressure.

No,i didn't just change my oil,so it is the trans fluid,leaking then
Yeah and if you had it parked where it was in the video for only a short time, and that amount leaked out, it's a pretty big leak. Careful, among other things, you don't want to run the trans pump dry and burn it out= new trans

can you link me to the boot repair kit and the new axles?
Boot kit Didn't price shop for ya, but there is a link for one place.

ECS has the axles, or look at the usual links found in the stickies.

The guy was fine with me filming,he just didn't want to be in the shot
Right

He's a good man,he only charged me 40.00 to paint all 4 calipers black
That is a good deal.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-20-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

6 videos.... Really? You could have done that with one or two pictures... And I stll want the 10 mins of my life back for the other video you posted of the avic

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dave0120
6 videos.... Really? You could have done that with one or two pictures... And I stll want the 10 mins of my life back for the other video you posted of the avic
suck a dick ****** and its a AVH model,not a avic you dumb ****

Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Site Moderator

Geez... Can you maybe take a deep breath and then ask yourself if 6 videos and nearly 10 minutes of total video time is maybe a little excessive and redundant?

Take it easy.. If we can't bust ***** around here it's not as much fun, right?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-21-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

The guy was *CLEARLY* bothered by you recording him. You can convince yourself otherwise, or just freak out on me like you did the other guy.

Whichever makes you feel better ^.^

Plus those videos were kind of pointless, some pictures would of been just fine.

Peace <3

Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Geez... Can you maybe take a deep breath and then ask yourself if 6 videos and nearly 10 minutes of total video time is maybe a little excessive and redundant?

Take it easy.. If we can't bust ***** around here it's not as much fun, right?

who said anyone can't bust *****? Does that mean i can't bust theirs in return? you flame me,you get flamed back. stop criticizing me,when i respond to someone talking **** to me.

I'm not some teenage kid,I'm a grown man,so cut lecturing ****. I don't feel a need to explain myself to anyone,it's pretty much obvious,why i posted the video.

I don't have time to bicker back and forth with ******** that want to nit pick on how many videos and how long and so on,i have better things to do with my time.

The dumb *** that commented on it,watched all the videos and talked **** about them,how stupid is that? you simply shouldn't have bothered watching them,specially after the idiot already watched a past video that i posted,which he didn't like,yet he watched all 6 that i posted in this thread! what a moron!

Quick Reply: Painted calipers black today,discovered something funky in the process