B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

PA inspection vs. CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:01 PM
1st Gear
Default PA inspection vs. CEL

I am new to PA.

I need to have the car inspected at the end of this month but I have a CEL with a couple error code. 3 of the 5 are thermostat related and o2 sensors. The other 2 are EVAP. I had been planning on doing the whole water pump/thermostat/timing belt thing, but finances have been a little skimp to get the parts and tools from blauparts (325 deposit on the tools?).

I believe that the timing belt kit should clear the first 3 codes and a diligent look into the vacuum system should clear the last 2 codes...

my question is: will the mechanic doing the inspection see the CEL and run a diagnostic and fail me? I ran an 'emission test' on the cheapo VAG tool and the car passed...

I also have the Air Bag light on... the PO had replaced the airbag module within the past year. I havent event looked into this yet, but am hopeful that it is just the under seat connector.

Last edited by foos; 03-05-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Where I am we have to have "safety" inspections done each time a new owner takes possession of the vehicle. For us, a CEL will NOT cause safety to fail. I can't say that's the same in the USA, but in my province in Canada that is the case.

It is also my understanding that a vehicle is not required to have airbags (thus it wouldn't matter if they airbag light was on or off). This is only hearsay though, I could be completely mistaken.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

i just read the entire PA Saftey Inspection requirements and there is no mention of Airbag lights.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ubchapterE.pdf

but the PA Emission test is a little less clear. The inspector will hook up a OBD cable and read any error codes.... but they dont say what they will require to be fixed.

http://www.ahs.dep.pa.gov/aq_apps/em...s/testinfo.htm

Last edited by foos; 03-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

Generally any emission or evap codes need to be fixed to pass. Heck in VA if we even have the check engine light on we fail automatically

Old 03-05-2014, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

yeah, well i bit the bullet and bought the timing belt kit. i wish i didnt have to rush this, but better now than after my inspection is past due

Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

i finished the timing belt, thermostat, water pump, tensioners, accessory belt, etc and the CEL codes disappeared. yay! Here's to saving over a thousand dollars!

unfortunately, the pre cat o2 sensors seem to be on their way out as they randomly trip a code... i am going to replace soon.

my crappy 'vag' code reader seems to think my car wont pass emission test citing a catalyst failure. any thoughts on this? if I were to need to replace both where is the best/cheapest source?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

from the 'net:

Your car can still pass the PA emission test with a check engine light on. The details are if your car is 1995 or older, the light on is not as important. 1995 and older cars get the " Tail pipe test " If your cars emissions are within the limits on the tail pipe reading, your car passes with a cel, " Check engine light " on. Now on the OBD ll systems, on 1996 and newer car, and light trucks. You can still pass with a CEL on, depending on how many codes are stored in your ECM, that is your vehicles computer. If your vehicle is 1996-1999, you can still pass with a CEL on if you only have one fault code in your ecm. In other words let's say your cel is on, and the scan shows you have a bad O2 sensor. If this is the only code that turned on your cel, then your vehicle still passes the test. Not many people will tell you this information though! A lot of garages will not tell you that you pass, and try and get you to get the repair done. It is better if you do fix the problem though, as a bad sensor on newer cars can cause driveability problems. Hope this info helps someone!

my comments:
note that if you clear your codes right before you go to the test you will fail for not having readiness codes in place. you need miles driven to get readiness codes set to all zeros, i believe it is all zeros vs all ones (one not correct and you may still pass, per above). You need to replace the front o2 sensors anyway for fuel mileage, go with bosch universals and splice the wires your self.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 PM
1st Gear
Default good info

hartsoe1, thats a whole bunch of good info thanx. I cleared the codes about 10 days ago and I havent had the CEL return. I guess im kind of keeping my fingers crossed that it wont reappear before wednesday. (The bad codes relating to the sensors had come back intermittently.)

your last comment about the universal sensors is a pleasant surprise. I was wondering about what the extra 50bux is for... i guess its a convenience tax.