B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

P0340 code intermittently pops

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Default P0340 code intermittently pops

Hi all. I recently rebuilt my head and ever since I have been getting the p0340 camshaft position sensor code. I have since replaced both the camshaft position sensor and the timing chain tensioner and the code still pops every once in a while. I can drive the car hundreds of miles at speed without the code, until I slow down to idle then sometimes I get a quick studder in the idle and the code pops. Car runs good and gets good fuel mileage so I'm pretty sure I have it timed correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Legal Moderator

guessing you have a 1.8? you need to reverify timing. set the crank at tdc and see if the mark on the cam gear lines up with the mark on the valve cover. next, you need to verify there are 16 links in between cam cap marks. this can be debateabl, cause it ist always obvious. best you can do is post a picture of your timing chain.

but i would also like to know EVERYTHING you did to the head. dont leave out anything, but im aiming at the cams here

Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

Yes, 1.8T. I put in new exhaust valves and 2 intake valves. Boogered up a cam journal slightly but a machinist was able to recover it. That's it except for gaskets and timing belt service with new water pump and tenioner and fan belts.

Wouldn't the car run rough if it was out of time? Wouldn't the code pop frequently. I can sometimes drive for 20-30 min stop and go before the code pops. When it does that idle hesitation after the oil is warm is ususally when it pops.

Is there a way to check the timing marks without taking apart the whole front end?

Thanks Redline.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Legal Moderator

if the timing is off only one tooth on the belt or one link on the chain they can actually run half way decent, but still not perfect. are you experincing any lack of performance? to check the timing marks you can try to do it with the front end on still, buts its a little harder. i could probably look at the timing. sounds like thats what it could be

Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

They vehicle will run almost the same witht the timing one tooth off on either the chain tensioner or the timing belt. The code will usually pop up quickly if the timing belt is off but can take a while if the chain tensioner is off a tooth. More importantly there are two versions of the chain tensioner and both will fit and work ok but the wrong one will throw a fault after driving for a while. I know this from getting my *** kicked for a week checking everything and it was the wrong version tensioner.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Legal Moderator

Are you referring to vvt verse non vvt? Either way op said he didn't replace it, so it's gotta be the same. But I think we can both agree his chain is off a tooth probably

Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Most likely, but like I said I lost my *** on a job because I kept getting timing issue due to the worng version chain tensioner being given to me by parts department before I finally decided to warranty the chain tensioner and then found out the version "E" versus "K" wasnt right for the vehicle.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

He just has to make sure when he replaces it to get the right version.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by sincityaudi
Most likely, but like I said I lost my *** on a job because I kept getting timing issue due to the worng version chain tensioner being given to me by parts department before I finally decided to warranty the chain tensioner and then found out the version "E" versus "K" wasnt right for the vehicle.
your right those are two different versions. I believe the k version is the updated one. Both will work. Your old one was probably bad.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info guys. I do remember the chain tensioner having two versions. I ordered the one for my engine code.

Ok.... you've got me convinced I need to tear the front end apart and pull valve cover to check timing again. I'll post pictures when I do this. May not get to it till this weekend as wife has me on a project. I'm absolutely sure I'm 16 teeth on timing chain as I just did the chain tensioner a week ago and counted it like 10 times to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: P0340 code intermittently pops