B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

p0116 code afer i just replaced temp sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
4th Gear
Exclamation p0116 code afer i just replaced temp sensor?

ok i just replaced the temp sensor a couple days ago.... and the cel came on and i figured it was just for the o2 sensors as usual.. but i decided to go check today and i got this code instead

Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance

any reason this would be up? i found a discussion thread about the same issue and same year as my car as well... this is what was said

Question
QUESTION: REPLACED THE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR&O2 SENSOR RESET CHECK ENGINE AND ONLY AFTER 8 MILES LIGHT CAME BACK ON NEED TO KNOW WHAT SENSOR FOR CODE OR IF IT COULD BE DIFFERENT ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

ANSWER: Hi Michelle, The code you give (2.8L V6 engine) for this is: Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance

G62 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor.

Is that what you replaced? If that didn't take care of it soem other checks can be done with the VAG-COM but this gets complicated. Is that the only code that shows up?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: yes thats the only code now before ther were 3 codes and i was told they were for coolant temp sensor and oxygen sensor and egr valve got those parts first bought temp sensor from advance and audi both parts were wrong finally dealership gave me part #058919501- black 4 prong said that was right then drove the 8 miles light back on

ANSWER: OK if the sensor has been replaced, and it is the correct one, then there is either a bad connection to earth (black wire grounds in right front wiring harness) or unfortunately, possibly a bad engine control module (ECM) I hope it is the ground... The ECM is expensive. Let me know what you find, I would check the resistance to ground in the plug for the black wire. Also this circuit shares connections with the crankshaft positioning sensor, this can be checked also. Let me know, Jan

so my question to whoever might know... what would the crank position sensor have to do with it for one.. and 2 if it is the ecm (please god no) then how much would i be looking at? lol

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
4th Gear

bump for help lol

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Site Moderator

You can buy the correct GREEN or BLUE top sensor (cough like i told you before) and see if that fixes it. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...rature_Sensor/ Use your VIN and see which one you need. The black ones are faulty, just because it comes from the dealer doesn't make it right.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 PM
4th Gear

i talk to the dealer... the black ones are good for the square tops... the green ones replaced the black round ones... i asked him... i reset the code today and if it comes back up again then ill freak out a lil more haha

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Site Moderator

God damnit phil, your have a head as hard as granite. This isn't my first BBQ, i've repaired more 12V's for this issue in one year than you will probably see in your entire lifetime. If you have the solid square sensor put in the BLUE sensor!

Im gonna stab myself with something i swear to god......

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 AM
4th Gear

they didnt have a blue sensor... i got it from kragen it is a beck arnley direct oem replacement...

but first thing i need to do is replace my fuel pump before i buy ANOTHER etc sensor

Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Site Moderator

^^^Cute sig.........

Kragen never gets part numbers right, that totally confirms my suspicions.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 AM
4th Gear

well i gave them the part number from the audi dealership... ill go there tomorrow and ask them about the blue square sensor.. do u happen to have a part number just in case

Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Site Moderator

Don't buy it from kragen for the love of god, buy it from that link i put up there.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM
4th Gear

its only 16 bux? damn... ipaid 30 at gaygen haha... ill bet shipping is gonna kill me though

Quick Reply: p0116 code afer i just replaced temp sensor?