B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ow Owdi went to AutoCross

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Well this effin' sucks! my well thought out impassioned response vanished! Ixnay ubiesay!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

How serious is your club with the rules? I know that the Porsche club here (one of the few clubs to host events) do not follow any of those rules unless you are in a Porsche.

I say just drive whatever car you have currently for a year while you get to know the intricacies of the clubs, the members, driving, and setup. Then make your choice. If you want an unstoppable AutoX car, get a C4 Vette, which can be had quite cheaply, escpecially if you look for one that already has all the mods, or stick to one of the Miata classes. Essentially the Vette was top dog in the country for many years till the hopped up Miata came along.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

The rules are the National Standard. It's a real AutoX not just a club set-up and I can't wait I need to replace my clutch now! I've ran with them multiple times it's a good group of guys (group meaning 100+). If I plan on going all out I want to shoot for making Nationals when they roll around. I dont have the kinda cash to dump for the c4 or I would just get another b5 and strip it and mod the **** out of it! Where you from and what Porsche club you run with?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

From SoCal, and I have been running with the PCASB (Porsche Club of America, Santa Barbara Region).

A C4 would only run $8-12k for something that has already been setup for AutoX.... Miata I am not sure, but I would imagine a touch cheaper.

Anyway, I will say, if you plan on going that far AutoXing (nationals) be prepared to drop alot of dough. Really. No racing is "cheap" even though AutoX is cheap compared to most everything else out there....Not to discourage you though. Have fun really. I am uber competative as well, and was so peeved (even though I had a blast) that I have yet to post my results and video. Supposed the marshals called me in for skipping part of the slalom, even though one could enter from either side, so I had 4 seconds added to 2 runs and 1 DNF (and I have video proof I did not go off course for the DNF.) Had I not had those infractions, I would be 11th, against much better cars like 2 Lotus's, and a majorly boosted Miata with slicks. The happy moment from me was this from the club President: "If this is any consolation you were turning pretty consistent times and It could have been just the day and the AX gods not working in your favor. I did a dnf on a run earlier in the day and what can I say, I wish I had a cleaner run. Driving on the edge of one's skill and pushing the car to peak performance is a challenge and from your times I can tell that you will be in the top group at the next AX."

So in the mean time I ride my newly acquired Cervelo S1 road bike to burn off that agression LOL. Then I go race my Mi4 rc car with another club..... Unfortunately there are only 4 events a year here, so I am not about to drop much of anything for anything but a damn fast DD.

Personally I am hoping to go for a C4 vette, but am sick of modern cars, smog laws, and lack of engine bay space, so most likely going with a pre 74 Triumph TR6 or pre 74 Datsun 240z with a 350 small block....In the mean time I beat on the A4 at the event :-D

The serious guys that turned up dropped $1-2K for tires that they only use for the day I instead just dropped $400 on some cheap Falken summer performance tires, that I will run till the next event, then buy some new tires again.

Anyway, keep us updated. I truly am interested in following this thread.

Last edited by rezenclowd3; 10-13-2010 at 03:41 AM.