B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Overheating rapidly and loud whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Overheating rapidly and loud whine

My 1.8t seems to be overheating very fast but is not losing water however there is water on my fans and headlight assembly when its been running. I just replaced my tensioner assembly and a few days later there was a whine sound which is now a really loud whine. Sometimes it sounds like a ticking noise too. Power steering is more than likely what it could be because it gets really loud when I turn my wheels. It also vibrates, I can feel it when I push the clutch in. Can anyone help diagnose my problem(s)?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 99AudiSport
My 1.8t seems to be overheating very fast but is not losing water however there is water on my fans and headlight assembly when its been running. I just replaced my tensioner assembly and a few days later there was a whine sound which is now a really loud whine. Sometimes it sounds like a ticking noise too. Power steering is more than likely what it could be because it gets really loud when I turn my wheels. It also vibrates, I can feel it when I push the clutch in. Can anyone help diagnose my problem(s)?
Temperature

If your water pump is not working effectively, you will notice a rise in the engine temperature. This is observable on the temperature gauge inside your vehicle. It is a good idea to know where the gauge rests in normal operation so that you will notice a higher-than-normal temperature reading. Some vehicles also will alert you to the high temperature by activating the check engine light. Most auto parts stores can attach a meter to your car and retrieve the trouble code so that you can replace the part.

Leaks

When a water pump fails, it will usually become hot, blow the seal and start leaking. If you are adding water to your radiator or radiator overflow canister on a continual basis, then there is a water leak. To see if it is the water pump, you can place a piece of cardboard directly under the water pump at night and check to see if it is wet from leaking water and coolant the next morning. You can also feel the bottom side when the engine is cool to check for leaks.

Noises

If the drive belt or timing belt, which operates the water pump, is loose from wear, it will cause the pump to operate inefficiently. The belt should be tight and you should be able to observe minimal slack in it when you push it with your fingers. If the belt is slipping, it will make a squealing noise and should be replaced. If you notice a rattling or growling noise, it may be the impeller or the bearings that have failed in your water pump. This will cause ineffective or no coolant to be pumped into your engine.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

^^^consider what he said^^^^ A leaking pump will spray coolant right where you're getting it, make noise. If it fails, so does your timing belt. I don't have to tell you what happens next.

Don't mess with this. Find out what it is.