B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

orange coolant disovered in radiator when flushed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

It could have just been dex-cool, which is orange and said to be safe in the b5 because it is also a silicate free coolant, but i still dont trust it. I've seen people do it at work and it makes me cringe knowing they can get the g12 but don't want to fork the extra cash out :/

Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 AM
2nd Gear

I had my mechanic purchase 8 quarts of G12 and told him to do the flush with water and dump it all in the radiator.

Why do people have to always mix G12 with distilled water? Can't it just be pure G12,without the water?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know to add distilled water,so i'll tell him tomorrow,which is probably too late,being he probably has done it already.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by villacorta32
It could have just been dex-cool, which is orange and said to be safe in the b5 because it is also a silicate free coolant, but i still dont trust it. I've seen people do it at work and it makes me cringe knowing they can get the g12 but don't want to fork the extra cash out :/
Only the best for my Audina!!! Besides,i wanted to flush ALL the fluids anyway,power steering fluid is getting the flush treatment too.

Pentosin CHF11S Synthetic Mineral Base Audi Power Steering Fluid will be added,rear differential fluid is being replaced with Redline 75w90 Gear Oil from esctunning.

I also am going to get the AC system vacuumed and put fresh refrigerant added for the summer,i don't know who does it but i assume any shop like pepboys or mineke does this.

I'm in the middle of a huge"preventive" maintenance overhaul,things that are underway of getting done are:

Timing belt,water pump and thermostat and seals
Rear wheel bearings
Front shocks
Rear shocks
All vacuum lines replaced
Rear differential fluid flushed and replaced
Front suspension via control arm kit also purchased from FCPGroton,including sway bar.
Power steering fluid flushed and replaced
Valve cover Gasket
Spark plugs
Air filter
Air cabin filter
Oil and oil filter change

Everything i purchased was from FCPgroton, came to over 1,400.00

The mechanic is a friend of mine,so he gave me a deal of the century...1,150.00 for everything. Gave him 500.00 up front and the rest upon completion.

Audina is gonna be a beast! Further more,I'm going to drop Audina off after all my work is done to my auto body guy and have about 650.00 worth of repairs done.

The front and rear bumper and a few nicks and scratches taken care of,so she looks and drives good for the summer!

Last edited by morpheous; 03-26-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
I had my mechanic purchase 8 quarts of G12 and told him to do the flush with water and dump it all in the radiator.

Why do people have to always mix G12 with distilled water? Can't it just be pure G12,without the water?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know to add distilled water,so i'll tell him tomorrow,which is probably too late,being he probably has done it already.
If he really is a certified mechanic he will know to mix it with distilled water. Heck, the lady at advanceautoboys knew to mix coolant with distilled water. Anywhere from 40/60 50/50 to 60/40 I believe depending on your climate. 50/50 works just fine though.

The only time you don't mix it with distilled water is when it's already mixed. The bottle will say if it's mixed. I've never seen G12 pre-mixed.

I know you said you ordered 8 quarts, that's about twice what you need.. My 2.8 only took 1 gallon G12 and 1 gallon of distilled water. I actually had about 6oz left over. 1 gallon is like 3.8L which is about 4 quarts IIRC.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Spec is 3 liters of G12 and the rest water. Most straight G12 is pink but comes out orange after mixing and running for the miles it's in the car. You had the right stuff in there most likely.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by IanWPB
If he really is a certified mechanic he will know to mix it with distilled water. Heck, the lady at advanceautoboys knew to mix coolant with distilled water. Anywhere from 40/60 50/50 to 60/40 I believe depending on your climate. 50/50 works just fine though.

The only time you don't mix it with distilled water is when it's already mixed. The bottle will say if it's mixed. I've never seen G12 pre-mixed.

I know you said you ordered 8 quarts, that's about twice what you need.. My 2.8 only took 1 gallon G12 and 1 gallon of distilled water. I actually had about 6oz left over. 1 gallon is like 3.8L which is about 4 quarts IIRC.
I'm not sure if he is certified or not but he's been working on cars for over 20 years. I actually bough 6 quarts...i think. He was at his main job,when i called him earlier so he couldn't confirm the exact measurements of G12 fluid in the bottles.

He said that he needed a lot as he needs to replace the coolant in the block and top off the coolant overflow reservoir.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Spec is 3 liters of G12 and the rest water. Most straight G12 is pink but comes out orange after mixing and running for the miles it's in the car. You had the right stuff in there most likely.
oooh...so maybe i did have the "right stuff" in Audina all along.

Well...i wanted to flush all my fluids anyway,so no harm no foul.

Thank for the input Jeremy