B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Opinions on this car? Craigslist :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

I think he had it BT'd at one point, assuming it's got the stock ko3 now? IDK, I believe it was maintained well but I'm sure it was driven hard.

I may still look at it this weekend

Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear

Pros of having a maintained car with mods versus the unknown of neglect. No one knows what you're getting into but the owner with any car.

To answer your question, much more hesitant.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

"PES T28 turbo kit, FMIC, big brakes & some other stuff I took off before selling"

It's now stock ko3 with an APR chip (says turbo has approx 110k on it)

Quote at the top is from seller, what it used to have, seems he has maintained it damn well though.

But basically, you're saying you'd rather buy the unknown of neglect rather than a well maintained modded/tracked car? Or neither, lol.

All the other B5's i ever see have no maintenance history whatsoever, scary

Last edited by DewAudiA4; 09-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear

I'd rather buy a maintained and modded track car at that mileage and age where you can already expect stuff to break than buying something at the same age and mileage of unknown background. But then again I got rid of my B5 cause I got tired of stuff breaking every month.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
Mines a 2.8 so I know nothing about the 1.8 besides it's less reliable and more fun? Lol
I'm the opposite. I know nothing about the 2.8 (other than the fact that both of my drivers side doors came from one - lol)........but I can tell you that the 5 speed 1.8T fun level is great (for a DD) and my reliability has been pretty great so far.....and it's at 260K mi.

As for the OP's question: I think it's a 50/50. I like to drive/ride all of my vehicles hard, but I maintain them knowing that there needs to be balance in the relationship, so I maintain them with that consideration in mind (IE: preventative, protective, and reactive maintenance). Every single person who has bought anything I've sold was lucky, because I've poured more money and love into my vehicles than I'll ever get out of them. I'll always be that way, even though I know that. That's just how I am.

If this guy had the same philosophy as I do, then you'll end up with more than you paid for. If he's the opposite and just mods, beats sh*t up, sells it off and repeats the process, then you'll end up screwed.

In the end, it's really a coin flip.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

Owned by a Quattroworld member.

Probably tracked hard.

Well taken cared of though.

quattroworld.com Forums: FS: '98.5 Audi A4 Sedan - 1.8t quattro sport manual - some mods - $4999 - Olympia, WA - **Updated**

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meh.
Owned by a Quattroworld member.

Probably tracked hard.

Well taken cared of though.

quattroworld.com Forums: FS: '98.5 Audi A4 Sedan - 1.8t quattro sport manual - some mods - $4999 - Olympia, WA - **Updated**
Haha, didn't even bother to look in their classifieds. Yeah it looks well taken care of, which in my useless opinion I would rather buy a car that's been driven hard but taken care of properly than a random car with no maintenance history.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

Haha, didn't even bother to look in their classifieds. Yeah it looks well taken care of, which in my useless opinion I would rather buy a car that's been driven hard but taken care of properly than a random car with no maintenance history.
+1

They've already fixed the **** that was bound to break in the first place. lol

Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

I would rather buy a car that's been driven hard but taken care of properly than a random car with no maintenance history.
There are an awful lot of options between track-driven-well-maintained and "random car with no maintenance history."

Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
There are an awful lot of options between track-driven-well-maintained and "random car with no maintenance history."
I wish there were in my area, lol. I browse Craigslist almost every day and when I see an A4 that interests me I always text or email and at least 75% of the time the owner has no idea if it's even ever had a timing belt service

Quick Reply: Opinions on this car? Craigslist :)