B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Opinions on this car? Craigslist :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Opinions on this car? Craigslist :)

What's your guys' first instinct/opinions on this car? I haven't looked at it in person yet but I'm thinking about it. Seems like a pretty fair price given the mods/maintenance if he has records. Only things I see, is that pink coolant G12? And I think see rust on the passenger side, let me know what yall think, thanks!

'98.5 Audi A4 Sedan - 1.8t quattro sport manual - Modified -Like S4 -

Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

G12 is pink so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Seems like it's been taken care of which is pretty rare...those cloth sports seats...mmm.

He's put a lot of work and effort into it, clearly. I would offer $4,400 at first, then come up to $4,600. Maybe I would go to $5,000, but it is 15 years old and it's still going to cause you problems. If I was going to buy an A4 B5, I'd want one like this--maintained and tastefully modded.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM
2nd Gear

I ususally run from cars where they list all the mods they've done, especially when they talk about the extra "helmet room". But this is done well, and if the guy has beat on it, it's hard to tell. Clearly this guy has taken great care of this car.

Price is pretty high for that car. If you would have done all those mods to it, maybe it's worth it to you. But I wouldn't sell my car for KBB either. Kelly couldn't find one that's in as good as shape as mine, and he might feel the same way.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear

It certainly looks good, but for the sake of example: I sold my '03 Yukon with a mod and maintenance list which was longer than his. I had receipts for everything, it was a one owner truck and booked at $10,500 w/o the mods (I even took it to the sales manager at GMC and he said if he were me, he'd price it at $10,500 - privately, not on the lot).....and I still sold it for $6K - so try to bring the price down. I bet you can get it much cheaper (if you're paying cash).

Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, more experienced B5er opinions are nice to have, I'll probably go look at it in person this weekend. It's the same year and color as my current but his looks to be in much better condition, at least cosmetically. And he seems to have put a lot of time and money into it. Most people in my area with a car like his seem to think 6-7k is reasonable so 5k isn't A bad starting point in my opinion. So long he has proof of listed maintenance

Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Mines a 2.8 so I know nothing about the 1.8 besides it's less reliable and more fun? Lol

Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

I say its worth it if you want it. Consider all the vacuum hoses and coolant flange in the back of the head, clutch, turbo etc. Expect to spend $ on it for sure to keep it going long term.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM
2nd Gear

It has higher mileage, parts are going to start breaking regardless of how well it's been maintained. That said, compared to a lot of other B5's on Craigslist, it seems to be well-cared for and loved by an enthusiast.

Mods don't increase car value, but the ones he has chosen seem to imply he loved it enough to put OEM parts on it to the extent that he likely didn't skip over an oil change or a nice snub mount (APR) when it needed it. For that reason, I would consider the mods as at least not detrimental to the car and can see why he wants $5000 to get back some of what he's put into it.

Here's a local B5 sold by a dealer for $5,000. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/4019574647.html

Similar mileage, same warranty (none), and no maintenance records. It probably needs a lot of preventative work done to it. The B5 in question seems to be the better buy even at "dealer" price.

In the end, it's going to need something eventually. It's apparently not neglected, though. Totally up to you like smitty said.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Researched a little and it seems to be owned by "Andy Sprague," he's on quattroworld and I think this car used to be modded a lot more extensively than it currently sits and it looks like it was autocrossed or tracked based on some pictures in his signature on quattroworld. Would that make you more hesitant or more appealing, obviously means to me that it was maintained but also slightly molested

Thanks for the replies guys they all help

Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

If it has been tracked I wouldn't even consider it. I'm sure most people will disagree but I have no problem with buying a car that has performance mods as long as it isn't extensive and it hasn't been tracked.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this car? Craigslist :)