B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

One of a kind

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default One of a kind

I decided, out of curiosity, to talk to AoA to find out how many cars just like my car are out on American roads. Turns out there's only mine!

2,585 1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattros sold in the U.S., 312 of those had Volcano Black Mica exteriors, 43 of those had the ecru/onyx leather interior, and of those only mine had all Cold Weather Package, leatherette seats, electronic sunroof, Decor Border-"Walnut Root Wooden Terra," and the Driver Information System.

One of a kind in this way is probably not very rare, but I'll still claim to own a one-off

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

Not to be that guy, but now I'm interested. Did they say whether or not those were prefacelift or facelift models?

I have a 1999.0 (prefacelift) Audi A4 2.8 Quattro with Volcano Black Mica with Ecru leather interior, cold weather package, leather seats (NOT leatherette), electronic sunroof, and "wood grain" trim, but no LCD (if that's the DIS).

According to this, are your seats leather, or leatherette?
How to spot a leatherette seat on an audi a6

Is the decor border the matte finish like this (exactly what mine looks like, except for it being automatic):
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2..._53641240w.jpg

Or the glossy finish like this:
http://i.oodleimg.com/item/307300434...60f?1339787918

Is the Driver Information System the LCD screen?

I'm guessing you have a facelift B5.

Chris told me to call AoA last month to figure out what I actually have, but I didn't. Now I want to. I didn't think they'd actually give out that type of information.

That's pretty cool and rare enough! haha

Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear

Also, does your dashboard, carpet, etc. actually look black or do you see a blue-ish tint to them?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

I'm pretty sure AoA feeds everyone BS. On VWVortex, a bunch of us sent emails and we were all "one of a kind."

Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
Not to be that guy, but now I'm interested. Did they say whether or not those were prefacelift or facelift models?

I have a 1999.0 (prefacelift) Audi A4 2.8 Quattro with Volcano Black Mica with Ecru leather interior, cold weather package, leather seats (NOT leatherette), electronic sunroof, and "wood grain" trim, but no LCD (if that's the DIS).

According to this, are your seats leather, or leatherette?
How to spot a leatherette seat on an audi a6

Is the decor border the matte finish like this (exactly what mine looks like, except for it being automatic):
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2..._53641240w.jpg

Or the glossy finish like this:
http://i.oodleimg.com/item/307300434...60f?1339787918

Is the Driver Information System the LCD screen?

I'm guessing you have a facelift B5.

Chris told me to call AoA last month to figure out what I actually have, but I didn't. Now I want to. I didn't think they'd actually give out that type of information.

That's pretty cool and rare enough! haha
Yeah, I've got leatherette, matte wood finish, and a prefacelift. They didn't specify facelift or prefacelift, but 2,585 doesn't seem like a ton so it might just be 99.0. The DIS is indeed the LCD, and mine's a 5-speed as well. The dash and carpet and all look black, not blue. Maybe a blue tint is due to fading over the years? I guess the LCD is the only stock difference between our cars then! Unless your car has things mine doesn't, of course. Maybe they're taking other unmentioned things into consideration as well, such as ESP or something, which I lack.

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said they'd get back to me in a couple of days, which didn't happen, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the response today! It's kind of fun just to boast about having special car haha

Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meh.
I'm pretty sure AoA feeds everyone BS. On VWVortex, a bunch of us sent emails and we were all "one of a kind."
Considering the wide variety of options and not so massive production numbers, it wouldn't surprise me if there were lots of "one of a kind" cars.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by meh.
this!!! you could say you have a silver b5 and theyll say its the only one

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by audiaxel
Yeah, I've got leatherette, matte wood finish, and a prefacelift. They didn't specify facelift or prefacelift, but 2,585 doesn't seem like a ton so it might just be 99.0. The DIS is indeed the LCD, and mine's a 5-speed as well. The dash and carpet and all look black, not blue. Maybe a blue tint is due to fading over the years? I guess the LCD is the only stock difference between our cars then! Unless your car has things mine doesn't, of course. Maybe they're taking other unmentioned things into consideration as well, such as ESP or something, which I lack.

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said they'd get back to me in a couple of days, which didn't happen, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the response today! It's kind of fun just to boast about having special car haha
I have leather seats, not leatherette with the matte wood. I definitely do not have an LCD DIS. Those were only offered in facelift models, so it sounds like someone did the work to get you one! And no ESP here. I also have a eurostyle/early B5 trunk which appears to be stock. Maybe I'll give them a call to see what they think.

When people think your car is 7 years newer than it really is, you have a special car

Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

Where do I start?

- LCD/HUD was available for prefacelift vehicles. All the way down to 1996, the display was an option.
- ESP wasn't even an option for prefacelift models.

- Seriously, don't get your hopes up about your car being "one-of-one." Nearly everyone that has emailed AoA has been told their car is one-of-one.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I started this thread a few months back -

Production numbers on your B5

And one that I didn't start -

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...&highlight=aoa

For you one-of-a-kind'ers -
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post80009137

Last edited by meh.; 02-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: One of a kind