B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ok, A NEWB (to Audi anyway) question, but I've SEARCHED lol......

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
FWIW we put a generic $70 four-wire on a 2000 Passat 30v to fix a fault and has been performing flawlessly. I'll probably go the same route on my car when the time comes - it's worked fine.

Oh and welcome to AF from another former VG30DETT owner (stage 6 converted 2+2TT). I agree on that car - you have to live with one to appreciate it. My favorite engine of all I've owned
Thanks man, sounds like you got rid of your car? My fiancee will have to pry those keys from my cold dead fingers lol. What a car though, people who don't know anything about them don't think anything of it, but the people who do know have lust in their eyes when they see it lol.

I bought two OEM bosch sensors off ebay, and two generic four-wires. I guess I'll find out when I replace the exhaust sections if they work or not! Thanks for everyones help

-Brian

Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 AM

FWIW we put a generic $70 four-wire on a 2000 Passat 30v to fix a fault and has been performing flawlessly. I'll probably go the same route on my car when the time comes - it's worked fine.

Oh and welcome to AF from another former VG30DETT owner (stage 6 converted 2+2TT). I agree on that car - you have to live with one to appreciate it. My favorite engine of all I've owned
I didn't read the stage 6 conversion. I have never even heard of a stage 6 lol. I would love a 2+2 with the TT, but my car is mint. It's completly stock, I'm sinking all my spare money to make my B5 reliable lol

Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

The stage 6 designation was going by the chart from SGP Racing which gave Zers a quick way to compare cars. My setup was dual intakes, ECU, split-flange downpipes, test pipes, catback exhaust, underdrive crank pulley, light flywheel, JWT clutch, boost controller at 17psi, AFC dialed in, one piece driveshaft, and when I converted I kept the NA 4.08 rear gears rather than swap to the TT's 3.69s. It was a nasty setup. I had a ton of work and money in that car but with two toddlers and having had the car for almost 10 years I was ready for something else. My advice to you on that car is to get intake, exhaust, and ECU. It'll put you up from 300hp to about 400 and the car will absolutely come alive. Another little handling trick is to set the shocks in Tour, then unplug the front shock solenoids and flip the switch to sport. That'll stiffen the rear relative to the front and give you a more aggressive handling setup. PM me with an email address - I'll give you some more tweaks that you'll like and that cost virtually nothing

Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghost6303
the ABS activates the brake on one wheel when it starts to spin to force the power over to the other side of the differential. it is not a true electronic lockup of the differential but it gets the same job done. this function IS controlled by the ABS module.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...e_distribution

The ABS only works under braking and only pulses the brake or wheel that is locked to allow you to move the car it does not send any extra power to the other wheels only the TT system will do that combined with ESP even the B6 does not have the same sofisicated system of the TT.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by docurley
The ABS only works under braking and only pulses the brake or wheel that is locked to allow you to move the car it does not send any extra power to the other wheels only the TT system will do that combined with ESP even the B6 does not have the same sofisicated system of the TT.
Correct! the ABS system on a B5 functions for braking only.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 PM

The stage 6 designation was going by the chart from SGP Racing which gave Zers a quick way to compare cars. My setup was dual intakes, ECU, split-flange downpipes, test pipes, catback exhaust, underdrive crank pulley, light flywheel, JWT clutch, boost controller at 17psi, AFC dialed in, one piece driveshaft, and when I converted I kept the NA 4.08 rear gears rather than swap to the TT's 3.69s. It was a nasty setup. I had a ton of work and money in that car but with two toddlers and having had the car for almost 10 years I was ready for something else. My advice to you on that car is to get intake, exhaust, and ECU. It'll put you up from 300hp to about 400 and the car will absolutely come alive. Another little handling trick is to set the shocks in Tour, then unplug the front shock solenoids and flip the switch to sport. That'll stiffen the rear relative to the front and give you a more aggressive handling setup. PM me with an email address - I'll give you some more tweaks that you'll like and that cost virtually nothing
Pm'd

And thanks for everyones input. I am glad that the ABS doesn't help with normal driving, only braking; cause I've spent the cash I have to make my B5 reliable. I've received a great welcome here at Audiforums and I hope I can learn as much as I can so I can help out some noobs, as soon as I'm not such a noob myself.

And I have to plug my old site, if anyone has a Maxima, or love them like I do, check out Maxima.org, there's a lot of good info and the people on there are just as helpful as they are on here.

-Brian

Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
Correct! the ABS system on a B5 functions for braking only.
But the EDL (electronic differential lock), is activated as necessary during acceleration and cornering. The EDL is controlled via the ABS module.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tweaked
But the EDL (electronic differential lock), is activated as necessary during acceleration and cornering. The EDL is controlled via the ABS module.
well first of all im not convinced that there actually is an electric diff lock on a b5 and if there was your statement makes no sense. If you are accelerating, you arent pushing the brakes too, so why would the abs be involved, and if you are cornering you dont want your diff locked either, because it would be more likely to make you spin out.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
well first of all im not convinced that there actually is an electric diff lock on a b5 and if there was your statement makes no sense. If you are accelerating, you arent pushing the brakes too, so why would the abs be involved, and if you are cornering you dont want your diff locked either, because it would be more likely to make you spin out.
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/t...tial_lock.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro..._drive_system)

Audi B5 Quattro uses a Torsen center diff, feeding open front and rear diffs. Normally, on an open diff, the wheel with the least resistance gets all the torque. In order to prevent this condition, Audi (as well as many other manufacturers including Porsche, Audi, VW, M-B, BMW, Jaguar, Ford, Volvo, etc.) uses individual braking to add resistance to the slipping tire, effectively transferring the torque to the opposite wheel, serving the same function as a limited-slip differential. Audi coined this "diff lock" EDL. It is controlled via the ABS model and is also integrated into ESP (electronic stability program) to prevent the car from getting out of line while cornering.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

It was my understanding that the rear diff on an A4 quattro simply locks at any speed below 15mph, and then is open at any speed above that. Also, I'm pretty sure a 12v B5 doesn't have ESP.

Quick Reply: Ok, A NEWB (to Audi anyway) question, but I've SEARCHED lol......