B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

oil temp light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Default oil temp light flashing

Hey folks, I just purchased an Audi and the former owner told me that on occasion the oil light begins to flash because the oil heater sensor is out. Could anyone give me any more information on this? The oil temp gauge actually registers it so I'm not sure as why the light is coming on. All fluids are fine. Car performs normal.

I was sitting in the drive way with the car off (radio mode) and it even went on then. It goes off every now and then and it's a bit annoying.

Thanks guys!

Name:  74636b01.jpg
Views: 3726
Size:  14.6 KB

Last edited by Buckle; 02-14-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

sounds like bad oil pressure.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

strange. I haven't seen it in 2 days now.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

does it beep???

im with matthunter.oil pressure it sounds like. could just be a loose wire or a failing sensor. ide look into it.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

Name:  be84d0e0.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  9.6 KB
so that happened tonight. I feel like an idiot now because it was probobly NOT a faulty sensor and an actual lack of oil (low oil would give bad pressure right?). I added about 3 quarts into the damn thing. I'm hoping that was it because afte 2 hours of driving around I didn't get that temp until about a mile before I got home.

I don't understand how I was able to drive around for an entire evening without levels going up this high. I'll check the levels when I wake up int the morning and it all settles in the oil pan.

Question, should I be able to see any oil in the area under the oil cap (valve cover) when I peek in? I don't, but I'm wondering if I should be able to.

any more input?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Alright:

The light you have pictured is for the coolant level or temp, NOT the oil. That light can come on for two reasons: either a coolant temp that is too high, or because your coolant level in the reservoir is too low. You need to check to see how much coolant is in your coolant expansion tank and add if necessary. If you have enough coolant, then the sensor at the bottom of the coolant reservoir tank is probably going bad. (Since your light is on when your coolant temperature gauge is at C, the light must be on because of the coolant level and not the temperature)
As far as your SECOND picture goes, your oil temp doesnt look exceedingly high (although it is fairly warm) but your coolant temp is way too high, it should always be at the middle under normal operating conditions.

Are you sure you had to add 3 quarts of oil, did you check the dipstick?? So far it looks to me that you have problems with the coolant and cooling system, not the oil.

BTW to remember which light is which: Do the symbols of in the bottom left of the oil temp gauge and coolant temp gauge look familiar??

Coolant light: thermometer in hot water, can either be coolant temp or coolant level.

Oil LIGHT: a can with a drip coming out of it, this is for oil PRESSURE not oil temperature (while the GAUGE is for TEMPERATURE, not pressure). If this light ever comes on you should shut your car off immediately.

EDIT: And you should NOT see oil when you open the cap. Im worried that you added too much oil, it doesnt sound like you checked the level, in which case, dont drive until you check the dipstick.

EDIT2: Oh and one more thing, if you do find that the coolant level is low, you need to add SPECIAL coolant (G12), not just any old stuff, otherwise itll all turn to gel.

Last edited by Dallas09; 02-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

thank you sir!

The coolant is at the max mark in the resevoir. I checked the dip stick this morning, I def added a bit more than I needed to.

Thanks for explaning the lights. What should seem obvious wasn't in panic mode I guess.

I ended up dropping off the vehicle at a german auto shop near by that my cousin has taken his A4.

I'm hoping it's just something like a bad thermostat or of equal simplicity.

This is very frustarting considering I Just purchased the car last thursday and it was doing fine after driving it around for over 250miles in one weekend.

BLAH!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

LOL oops. Yeah. I thought that was coolant temp but was thinkin about oil. (just did my valve cover gasket and had oil all over my hands lol) my bad.