B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

No one would by it with a bad engine?

If I didn't want to put another 1.8 in it, what size engine will fit with a straight swap on the same drive trains and transmission?

Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Doubtful anyone would buy it that way, or if so you'd get very little for it, like $500 or so. No other engine is a straight swap. Any will require significant extra work and parts changing.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Site Moderator

Call shokan and see what a used one will run you. You don't NEED a new engine, these engines will last forever as long as you take care of it. I would remove the new oil pump and pick up tube on your engine, but a used one, slap the parts on and call it a day. There is a VERY LOW chance a used engine will be bad. I've seen these motors with more than 500,000 on the clock.......probably their 3rd turbo but thats besides the point.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Call shokan and see what a used one will run you. You don't NEED a new engine, these engines will last forever as long as you take care of it. I would remove the new oil pump and pick up tube on your engine, but a used one, slap the parts on and call it a day. There is a VERY LOW chance a used engine will be bad. I've seen these motors with more than 500,000 on the clock.......probably their 3rd turbo but thats besides the point.
Yeah. I just don't want to put that much work into it. Swapping the engine sounds like a lot of time. I have all the tools and space for it, so I guess that is what I will be doing.

I was looking on ebay and the average price, lowest miles I could find was 80k, is about $1500. I will give Shokan a call. Who knows, maybe the oil cooler replacement will fix it though. Gosh that would be nice.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Heres a description of your oiling system and some troubleshooting, testing procedures to try:

http://eva2.homeip.net/Bentley99-05/...n%20System.pdf

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

So any updates? R u selling the car or gooing for another engine?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by erasmmuss
So any updates? R u selling the car or gooing for another engine?
I am going to try replacing the oil cooler first, then shoot some seafoam in my vacuum lines because a local Audi club guy swears that will fix it. And then update next week when I'm done. Who knows what will happen after that.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

After that u will do the rai/snow dance smoke a pipe and change the engine

Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

BTW, there are two thrust bearing inserts that are on either side of the #3 main bearing cap. they are not part of the bearing itself but are inserted next to the main bearing and they look like two U shaped peices of metal with a short tab on the bottom facing into the oil pan, these are what keep the crank from moving forward and back in the bearing saddles.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

The seafoam in the vacuum lines won't do anything for the low oil pressure. It needs to go directly into the the crankcase, through the oil filler opening in the valve cover.

Shortly I too will be pulling the oil pan and replacing the oil pump and pick-up tube. I'll look at the rod and main bearings too while I am in there and replace them if I need to.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!