B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I never heard of a built-in bypass valve on a filter before. Damn. Even with a 2.8, I guess I know what filters I'm gonna run from now on. Both the Mann and Mahle have that?
Mann, Mahle, Napa Gold, WIX, and i think a couple others do, factory german filters do as well. Its one of the reasons audi went to using a paper canister filter again. If you cut open a Fram, Pennzoil, Bosch, or any other crap bag filter and look at the insides you will see what im talking about. FRAM filters will blow up a motor in a hurry if it gets plugged.

Edit: I should actually make a correction, ALL filters have SOME sort of bypass valve, but not all of them work. Some actually leak contaminates back into the pan, fram, purolator (not the upper one) pennzoil, valvoline, quaker state, AC delco, and dura guards tend to leak crap back into the pan, and they get clogged easilly. Not to mention they are WAY too small for our engines, Fram being the smallest.

Last edited by auditech79; 02-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Terrynt
This must be why after I did a pretty good couple of seafoam treatments and switched to mobil 1 ow-40 the oil pressure light doesn't come on as often. Only comes on 1-2 times when I'm driving it. Im also using the mobil 1 filter. That wont work?

Anyways, I need to drop the oil pan to change the pick up tube? and where Can I get one? I can't find any.
Im not sure if the Mobil 1 filter has a bypass or not, but i would think not. If you have been running seafoam you need to get that filter off regardless.
I'll find you a link to the pick up tube.
HEY I JUST FOUND THIS NEW KIT FROM ECS! IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A NEW PICK UP TUBE DESIGN! It also comes with a new oil pump and the price aint bad! Im gonna have to make a sticky about this now! Woot!http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...cation/ES7579/
Or http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...cation/ES7578/

Interestingly it looks like they have removed the old pickup tube from thier website, you can probably still find the old one for around $15 on other sites, but its hard to beat the smoking deals in those links.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

I don't need all that though. If I just buy a new oil pump ($80), that comes with a new pickup tube and screen, right? I already bought myself some nice big Mann filters. And im going to stick with my mobil 1 0w-40.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Site Moderator

Depends on where you buy the pump from i guess, but you CAN order just the pick up tube from audi which is a hell of a lot easier to install, and it should only cost around $30.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

I kind of wanted to just replace it while I was in there since I don't want to end up doing this all over again. The price isn't a problem. But the degree of difficulty is. Removing the oil pump really that hard?

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...ber=058115105C

That's the oil pickup tube on the end, right?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

Let me get this straight.

You paid $1400 for repairs and none were carried out, Correct?

The most you should have been charged was a couple of hours of labor. The didn't replace anything did they? the just inspected and reported.

I'd go get some of my money back If i wear you, if they refuse, threaten legal action (always works for me)

Last edited by ubdevoid; 02-09-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

It was about $700 for taking off the head, looking inside, dropping the oil pan, inspecting and telling me there is no hope. So i told them to put it all back together again. They said they needed to replace the rear main seal because whoever did it before me stripped some bolts and ended up cross threading something or another so they had to drop the transmission to do this. That was a 2 day job I guess and they ended up giving me a deal and cut some labor costs and charged me $1200 for labor, and the other$200 was gaskets and seals and screws/nuts/bolts. I understood what they did and it was my decision. I got screwed by the guy I just bought the car from.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Terrynt
I kind of wanted to just replace it while I was in there since I don't want to end up doing this all over again. The price isn't a problem. But the degree of difficulty is. Removing the oil pump really that hard?

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...ber=058115105C

That's the oil pickup tube on the end, right?
No its not that bad, however not as hard as just unbolting the two bolts on the pickup tube LOL. That is the pick up tube bolted to the pump yes, i would call and double check it actually comes with it though, alot of these aftermarket companies just use pictures from other sites and don't actually include specific parts that are listed in the picture.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
No its not that bad, however not as hard as just unbolting the two bolts on the pickup tube LOL. That is the pick up tube bolted to the pump yes, i would call and double check it actually comes with it though, alot of these aftermarket companies just use pictures from other sites and don't actually include specific parts that are listed in the picture.
I always order from this site. They have never failed me. Best prices, too. Anyway, thanks a million auditech79. You have been very helpful. I will update the thread after I change the oil pump, put on the new oil filter, run seafoam through it, change oil and filter again, and take it for a spin. Hope all goes well.

P.S. Where are you from in Nor Cal? I grew up in Redding. I love it there.

Last edited by Terrynt; 02-09-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Site Moderator

Me? I grew up in crap town Modesto, but lived in 10 different cities and 5 different states since i left. I was born in the OC! but i don't remember it Redding is a nice spot, i like the northern territories of CA, especially Ukiah.

Anyways let us know how it goes, im 99% sure it will fix it.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!