B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!

Just got back from the dealer, paid them $1400 to do nothing. I have oil pressure problems and they have no idea whats wrong. I just bought the car, the guy said the oil pressure was fine, just needed a new sensor. I replaced the pressure sender and oil level sensor. Didnt work. Tried sludge cleaner. Nope. Finally took it to the stealership. They took of the valve cover, everything looks good. Took off the oil pan and the inside is clean and new. Apparently the oil pump had been replaced as well as some other stuff in there. And it was cleaned up real well. Dealer says they have no idea what them problem is and they would recommend a new engine. The oil pressure is low by about 10 psi at idle and high rpms. Any ideas.

Last edited by Terrynt; 03-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Do you have an oil pressure gauge to tell you the pressure is low? And why the hell would they recommend a new engine? Do you have documentation that a new pump was installed? It could be faulty. Any other recommendations or work that they've done?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Site Moderator

Because a lot of dealer techs are morons.. The TSB says to replace the engine, but it won't cover an old B5 anymore. I would just drop the pan and replace the oil pick up tube, oil filter, and oil. Should fix it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

They dropped the oil pan, and noticed that the oil tube, oil screen, oil pump, everything else they could think of changing was brand new.

I don't have an oil pressure guage. Just a low oil pressure light that comes on. But they checked it manually and it was low. There is no evidence work was done because I think the guy scammed me who I bought the car from, he's not admitting to any work. They recommend a new engine because "there are just too many red flags". Though the only one they told me is that they don't know what's wrong.

Last edited by Terrynt; 02-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Here is what my notes from the dealer say.

"Pulled valve cover and inspected cams for damage. They were ok. Removed oil pan. Noticed cam adjuster and the oil pump looked new, someone has definitely been into the vehicle. Inspected the rod/main bearings, no abnormal wear is present. Oil level sensor and oil pressure sensor appear new as well. Reinstalled valve cover and oil pan. Pressure is still below recommended specs."

Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Site Moderator

I'll repeat, change the oil pick up tube, oil filter, and oil. I used to be a dealer tech, i know how they work. They don't want to take on a basket case and attempt a repair. Have a indy do the work, i don't really care that the "dealer" says they look new, did they show them to you?

Oh and TOW THE CAR to the shop, if you run this engine with low pressure, you WILL blow the ****** up.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

I am not paying anymore money to have other people work on this. I need to drop the oil pan to change the oil pick up tube?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Site Moderator

The oil pick up tube on the longitude 1.8T has a design which is too small, the screen is also too fine. When it gets clogged the tube actually collapses so cleaning it won't fix it 100%. The oil filter is also another cause for concern if it isn't a MANN or Mahle (or factory) most aftermarket filters don't have blockage bypass valves, so if any crud gets in them the pressure will drop. I would also flush the engine with seafoam after putting on a fresh filter, then change the filter again and fill it with high quality synthetic oil.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I never heard of a built-in bypass valve on a filter before. Damn. Even with a 2.8, I guess I know what filters I'm gonna run from now on. Both the Mann and Mahle have that?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
The oil pick up tube on the longitude 1.8T has a design which is too small, the screen is also too fine. When it gets clogged the tube actually collapses so cleaning it won't fix it 100%. The oil filter is also another cause for concern if it isn't a MANN or Mahle (or factory) most aftermarket filters don't have blockage bypass valves, so if any crud gets in them the pressure will drop. I would also flush the engine with seafoam after putting on a fresh filter, then change the filter again and fill it with high quality synthetic oil.
This must be why after I did a pretty good couple of seafoam treatments and switched to mobil 1 ow-40 the oil pressure light doesn't come on as often. Only comes on 1-2 times when I'm driving it. Im also using the mobil 1 filter. That wont work?

Anyways, I need to drop the oil pan to change the pick up tube? and where Can I get one? I can't find any.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem: Dealer has no idea!