B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oil out of dipstick? Too much pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil out of dipstick? Too much pressure?

Hi guys.

I have been losing oil for quite some time and wasn't sure what it was. I noticed the T that my PCV sits in was all torn and gunked up. So I fixed that, and it still does it.

More recently I noticed it seems to be coming from the dipstick tube (where it connects to the metal tube going into the pan, and looks like some out of the top too)

I read this is from too much pressure in the crankcase. My car just has an atmospheric dump on it T-ed off coming out of the valve cover, with the pancake valve deleted (was like this when I bought it). I noticed the filter that is on the atmospheric dump is pretty gunked up, and I couldnt really get it cleaned out. I was going to order a Oil catch can with a filter on the top to dump clean air, and prevent it from getting gunked up and hopefully be able to vent properly.

Could this be the issue? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Legal Moderator

when you replaced the crankcase breather hose did you also replace the check valve? if that isnt operating it will not allow the pressure from the crankcase to vent, making it look for other places to come out

Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

I have not replaced any hoses, so definately not any check valves. Could you be more specific on which one, and how to tell if they are bad? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Legal Moderator

thought you said you fixed the t the the block breather is? or did you just tap it up? either way where the hose comes ou of the block there is a check valve in the. if it is all gunked up gasses will not escape.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

The part I fixed is the T that holds the PCV, under the intake manifold. I just popped the clamps off, took the PCV out, put the new PCV in and a new T and voila.

As far as the actual T that comes out of my Valve cover. It is not the stock one, but rather one that goes like this

_________Atmospheric Dump
| \______PCV/Crankcase
VC

If that picture makes sense.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

The crankcase breather hose resides under the intake manifold. It comes out of the block vertically and makes a 90 degree elbow towards the rear of the engine, where it meats up with another hose and a breather valve. It's a pain to get to. If you've never replaced it, it might crumble when you touch it, thereby leaving you with a problem. However, I was under the impression that this hose didn't actually do anything under boost, I'm pretty sure that valve only opens when there's vacuum in the intake manifold (ie when the engine is not under boost, so as to draw out crankcase vapors).

The other valve, the one you refer to in your OP which was replaced by the previous owner, might be the problem. Maybe it's not allowing crankcase pressure to escape. Another possibility is that your rings are in poor shape and too much boost is escaping into the crankcase. This would be very bad. You can confirm this by doing a simple cylinder compression test. Anything below 7.5 bar is considered out of spec (ie. the rings are too worn).

That would also explain any oil control problems you've been having.

Last edited by GoremanX; 09-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

One more side note, since this is oil related.

My oil cap seems to have been REALLY tight lately.. like pretty hard to get off.

I was showing the girl how to check the oil (sigh.. i know) and she couldnt even get it off.

Not sure if this might be related?

Indeed, the elbow coming from the crankcase was in tact just fine when I reinstalled it (After taking it off to wiggle the PCV (crankcase valve you are calling it) setup out of there).

I have also done a compression test in the past 2 months and they were at ~155psi on all cylinders

But a check valve of some sort DOES seem like it would lead to this.. Is there any easy way to check them? I can pull some off and start checking them.

Last edited by Tremar; 09-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.