B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oil in my intake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default Oil in my intake!

I disconnected both hoses from my turbo to intercooler pipe to find the inside of both of them filled with engine oil. I'm no professional mechanic but I'm assuming this is kind of a big deal, am I right?

I'm going to attempt to find the source of the leak tomorrow, but until then, can anyone give me any advice on what may be the cause, and how to fix this problem?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

Could it be from a K&N filter?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Legal Moderator

from what i understand it isnt really a specific problem, it just happens, especially with turbocharged engines because of all the air being recirculated after it comes in contact with engine oil. that is what a oil catch can is for. instead of depositing oil in your hoses, it falls into a little can which is emptied periodically. i think you would only need to be worried about it if you are noticing high levels of oil consumption, like you put in 4.3 quarts when you change it and only three come out the next oil change.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM

It's a thrust bearing turbo, the turbo shaft rides on a blanket of oil, so some gets through on both sides. It's normal.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
4th Gear

It is very normal because your valve cover and crank case on your 2001 is connected to your turbo inlet hose. THis allows the turbo to suck the pressure out of both spots and this allows oil vapor to get into your intake system. The system is setup this way so that the oil vapor is then pushed into the cylinder and burned. What happens is that the vapor settles on the pipe/hose and collects. This is why they the catch can setups.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear

Wow, had no idea my engine was built to do that. When I pulled my intercooler hose off the solid intercooler pipe about 1 or 2 ounces of oil trickled out. Is this a normal amount? Do you think an oil catch can is necessary?

No K&N filter anmagro, not yet anyway.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
Wow, had no idea my engine was built to do that. When I pulled my intercooler hose off the solid intercooler pipe about 1 or 2 ounces of oil trickled out. Is this a normal amount? Do you think an oil catch can is necessary?

No K&N filter anmagro, not yet anyway.
Yes it is normal for a little bit of oil to come out when you pull the turbo outlet hose off. Now if you find that much oil at the throttle body hose then you have an issue. You might also want to pull the hose off before the SMIC and see if there is any over there and clean it all out. If the oil gets to the SMIC it can reduce flow causing the IAT's to climb.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

I have a Perrin Catch can for sale. PM me if your interested.

Other than that yes turbo cars do this. I've heard that if you get excessive build up of oil in your intercooler, the oil insulated the intercooler, and it is less effective. True? Makes sence.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM

The buildup in the intercooler doesn't really insulate it, it just blocks air from passing through the bottom fins, so it's less effective.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

What do all you guys think about oil catch cans? Are they necessary even if oil isn't getting all the way to the throttle body?

Seeing how there was quite a bit of oil in the lower hose of my intercooler I'm guessing it would be wise for me to get one, right?

Quick Reply: Oil in my intake!