B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Default oil catch can

This topic has probably been covered somewhere on this forum but since you can use 'oil' as a search string, I couldnt find anything. Did find some info with a google search.

Anyways, I was looking for a boost leak this weekend and found that a decent amount of oil is floating through the system. This could potentially lead to clogging and parts failure. I am planning on buying a catch can off of ebay but I have a few questions first.

Can someone post a link discussing oil catch cans and the 1.8t? Wheres the best place to connect it? Any specific features I should look for or add to the can? Can/should the can be vented? filter?

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Was thinking about something universal like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-C...1%7C240%3A1318

I just need to know the best place to put it? anyone using one of these?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I dont plan on building my own at this point - I just need some info (pic) on where exactly to tap the hoses.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 PM

gravy

Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 AM

I've done some searching on Audizine and vwvortex and have found some good info
and a lot of contradicting info.

It seems like the simplest configuration is an inline setup that only works under boost. The next option appears to use a t-fitting to run two lines into the catch can inlet. This should work under boost and vacuum. However, there appears to be debate about needing a to create a vacuum to make the second setup work right. Some people have a vented can and others dont.

I would like to have the catch can work under boost and vacuum. I am more concerned with sludge and clogging issues rather than performance since my car is chipped and a daily driver (and I need to pass emisions). Anyone running a catch can on a stock or slightly modded (chipped) 1.8t? Whats the best way to make the can function under both boost and vacuum?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM

bump

This weekend, if I have some free time, I will delve into the Bently manual to attempt to understand the vacuum/boost system in the car. There is no urgency to installing the catch can but I would like to begin to get an idea of what I will need to do. I am somewhat set on locating the can under the coolant reservoir since it is the only place it will fit nicely and drain easily.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Default Anyone???

Considering the response rate on this thread is low, I am pessimistic about receiving some quality advice but it cant hurt to ask, right?

I plan on making a similar setup to AudiRacerS4 on this thread on Audizine:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...il+catch+stock

which appears to follow that advice given by mike-2ptzero in post #23 on this thread:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...il+catch+stock

Since I want to put the can under the coolant reservoir, I will need to cut the hard line where it begins to turn down, back by the firewall (see pic). I would cut where the dashed red lines are and plumb the can in series (green lines).

But I still have a couple questions.
1) How is the "A" end of the pipe connected and how can I remove it?
2) What are the disadvantages of this setup?

Responses are appreciated. Dont be shy

Attached Thumbnails oil catch can-img_1293b.jpg  
Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
I would like to have the catch can work under boost and vacuum.
a catch can doesnt need any specific pressure level to work, its just a can that collects anything heavier then air that passes thru it. however i have read that it is slightly better to have a negative pressure atmosphere inside the block, rather then a completely open can.

this would help in the evaporation of water and volatile chemicals as well as prevent seals from leaking. if you just blocked off the vent hole completely, or it somehow got to be positive pressure inside the engine, it could push oil past seals and stuff like that. as long as the can is at least vented it shouldnt be much of a problem either way you want to do it.

and i dont really see what pics you are refering to here
Since I want to put the can under the coolant reservoir, I will need to cut the hard line where it begins to turn down, back by the firewall (see pic). I would cut where the dashed red lines are and plumb the can in series (green lines).

But I still have a couple questions.
1) How is the "A" end of the pipe connected and how can I remove it?
2) What are the disadvantages of this setup?

Quick Reply: oil catch can