B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oh, no?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default Oh, no?!

I have a sound that I'd like some help identifying. I tried taking a video with my cell phone, but predictably, that was worthless. I'll give my digital camera a shot this afternoon if nobody knows what I'm talking about it.

Right, so the noise. Well, I think I have figured out that it's coming from the front left (driver's side) of the engine. The water pump is right under there isn't it? It sounds like a sort of electronic whirring that you can hear when the car is idling in park. The intensity of the sound fluctuates up and down on its own in park and isn't louder than the other, healthier sounds, but it's still there whereas is wasn't before. I can hear it from inside the car as well, and under acceleration, it gets even louder...in fact, when I accelerate it sounds like a remote control car or maybe that windup sound you get from a manual car going in reverse. It's not really obnoxiously loud and I think other people not familiar with my car wouldn't be able to pick it out. But I do. And I hate it. No DTCs.

I almost felt like yesterday the car had less power, but I guess don't want to add that to the official list of symptoms until I've driven it today.

On a slightly more positive note, I have figured out that my brake fluid is oozing out all over the ABS pump and that that's where it's been going. Wonderful.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Oh, no?

Check you power steering fluid and your coolant level. If the power steering fluid is low top it off and listen to see if the noise changes dramatically if so your leaking power steering fluid. If your coolant fluid is low then your pump is probably on the way out.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

I should have mentioned that all fluid levels are normal.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

A trick I learned was to take a long screwdriver or prybar of some sort. Placed onor the around the suspect area and listen to the soundkind of like a stethoscope the doctor uses. You should be able to get an idea of where the sound is exactly coming from. Just be careful not to put it on moving parts.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Usually when things on the drivebelt fail, they squeak a lot. A whine might be something rubbing, possibly the fan on the alternator. Have you checked that?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
5th Gear

if it's a whine like a remote control car, you could have a supercharger that was hidden from you and is now starting to respond to you. maybe if you luv your car more it'll actually make your car faster. i don't what else to say but to put a little bit of coolant on the serpentine belt while the car is idling. see if you can get somebody else to listen to it.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: CLX

Usually when things on the drivebelt fail, they squeak a lot. A whine might be something rubbing, possibly the fan on the alternator. Have you checked that?
A visual inspection of the belts and the immediate area didn't reveal anything interesting. After driving it today, I think performance isn't hurting after all.

I definitely wouldn't describe this noise as a whine, though.

If the assumption is that this is to do with the water pump, what should I inspect for? Has anyone had a bearing in their pump go bad? I found a replacement on eBay for like $40...can I trust it?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

if its power steering you will feel your steering wheel rub a little when turning ..but i know i had this r/c sound before because my hydralic fluid was drastictly low

Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SuprA4

if its power steering you will feel your steering wheel rub a little when turning ..but i know i had this r/c sound before because my hydralic fluid was drastictly low
It's something to do with the timing belt assembly. No point in trying to pinpoint it exactly, I'm just going to have to get the whole job done. Second time in the car's 96k mile life.