B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

I installed facelift foglights and tapped into the fog wires on the harnesses and ran them down to the new fogs. They're easy to retrofit. These headlights don't have halos (I wouldn't have taken them if they did) but if they're your thing, yes, you could connect the fog wire to the halos if you wanted. The downside is that you'd only be able to use them when the headlights are on. You're better off tying them to the parking lights or running a wire from a switched ignition source like the 75x terminal under the dash, or putting them on their own switch.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
The housing around the turn signal bulb is black, so I wouldn't call them "clear" per se, but there is no amber lens there like on stock headlights, so in that sense they'd be considered clear.
Yah, but I would recommend those bulbs that are silver until they light up, as an amber bulb will still reflect at some angles, if youre looking for a more "completely clear" appearance...
The only issue, if you could even call it one, was that the lights came with a two-wire corner, where mine was a three. Some simple socket modification and my oem one fit.

And my car is a facelift one anyways so my fogs were down low to begin with.

Last edited by billymac122; 05-31-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spellcheck...
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

hey jeremy do u know where i can find some oem fog lights? the previous owner of my car took em out and put some ricer yellow fogs and looks weird...

Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Either a part-out (VWvortex.com has the most cars from what I've seen), or on eBay - I've seen sets of them on there from time to time. Probably your two best bets.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by billymac122
I also have the black depos, exactly like jeremy's; bought them on ebay a short time ago (link: 99-01 AUDI A4/S4 B5 1-PIECE BLACK ECODE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS w/ HID INSTALL | eBay).
We just got a TON of rain up here the past few days and no fog at all so far. IMO they arent bad lights at all...
Here they are on my car:

(along with the smoked sidemarkers...)
I'm diggin the orange'ish audi symbol you have on your driver side dash, where'd ya get that?

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying these:

Name:  blackhalos.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  27.1 KB

I have a silver b5 as well.

Heres the site, they're reasonably priced too.

96-99 AUDI A4 S4 DUAL HALO / LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS - GLOSSY BLACK

Do you think i'd have to trim my fender? I'm hoping to do minimal work.

Btw, why are you guys against the Halos? Is there something wrong with them? I think they look pretty sweet myself.

EDIT:

I'm also planning on blacking out my front grill as well. Something like this:

Name:  blackgrille.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  85.5 KB

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro-imag1036.jpg  

Last edited by ErkNjerKn_Irish; 12-13-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added more..
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Two reasons a lot of us are against them:

1 - halo lights are more of a BMW thing and look a lot better on those cars - let BMW have them

2 - almost all the halo lights out there for the B5 are built like ****, aren't airtight and therefore cloud/fog up, and in general appear to have been assembled by drunken apes with Down's syndrome

Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator

1 - halo lights are more of a BMW thing and look a lot better on those cars - let BMW have them

2 - almost all the halo lights out there for the B5 are built like ****, aren't airtight and therefore cloud/fog up, and in general appear to have been assembled by drunken apes with Down's syndrome
^This. Aaaaaaaaall of this. And then some.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Fair enough, thank you for the heads up. I didn't really know that mostly BMWs got them, I still like them though. I just don't like hearing that they fog up and ****.. Even depos?

and thoughts on the black front grill and audi symbol?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I blacked out my rings several years back and never regretted it. I have an RS4 grille so the surround is a brushed aluminum finish rather than chrome and I'm really happy with it. Personal opinion - I'm not as much a fan of blacking out the surround because to me it kind of gives some definition to the grille rather than looking from a distance like the grille fell off the car.

And my Depo projectors have not fogged on me.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Final Results

Hello Again

This is well overdue, but I just wanted to thank everyone that helped guide my decision! Shortly after the start of August - I changed out my side markers, added a B5 lip spoiler and went with a stock look DEPO headlight.

The whole transformation costed less than $400 and took about three hours to install everything and do some touch-up waxing.

It's really got me to fall back in love with my car ever since purchasing it last year. It definitely turns heads compared to when I had the stock two-piece headlights.

Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro-pre-facelift-1.jpg   OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro-side-side.jpg   OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro-post-facelift-side-marker.jpg   OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro-post-facelift-headlight-close.jpg   OEM Look - Non Halo, Projector Headlights? 1998 Audi a4 Quattro-post-facelift-front.jpg