B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Odd question....bear with me

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:01 PM
3rd Gear
Default Odd question....bear with me

I'm going to try to get to the point......about 3 months ago I noticed something amiss with the car. After making repeated stops (meaning 3 or more short stops of about 15-20 minutes) when I put the car into first gear, there is an odd noise which seems to prevent the car from moving. I have the ABS and Brake lights on the dash. I have been told by Audi there is an issue with the ABS sensors.

I know it is not engine based, so I can only assume from what Audi and the warning lights are telling me, that my ABS is shot. But would the ABS prevent power to the wheels when I shift from first to second gear? When this happens, I throw the car into neutral (somethings on the road) and in about 30 seconds the noise goes away and off I go.

Basically to sum everything up, after repeated cycles of the engine (starting and stopping) and I drive from first to second gear, the car loses power (I believe the brakes are activating for some reason) and then all is normal.

I know these cars can have silly little issues, I just want reassurance I guess that the ABS can actually do what I believe it is doing.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

might be frozen calipers. Some one will eventually chime in and probably have a better description of what the problem might truly be.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM

if the ABS light is coming on I would imagine its a problem. could be the sensors or the control module

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear

The calipers were service when I did rotor and pad change on all four corners, I would hope they aren't the issue. Like I tried to state above I believe the issue resides solely on the ABS System or the module

Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear

Both lights (solid on if I remember right) signify a dead module. ModuleMasters did mine, it was cake. I had no symptoms that you have though. If ABS goes out (or module is removed) the car is designed to continue to run and brake normally, minus the auto-pumping. I'd agree with a frozen or hanging caliper, though in my small experience have never encountered either. Maybe your ABS is going nuts and just kicking on. Get it scanned at either AutoZone or preferably with a VAG-COM.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear

if the ABS failed, it should fail 'safe' in the off position- meaning the module should die and just not work anymore. ive never ever heard of the ABS module failing and applying the brakes before.

i would try to verify that the brakes are actually on and its not a transmission thing. look for abnormal wear on the pads, jack the car up and see how much it takes to spin the wheels, make sure the E-brake isnt on or something.

if the brakes are on for some reason, it could be some weird fault in the master cylinder or brake booster, though that would be very strange.