B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Which Octane do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Default RE: Which Octane do you use?

in turbocharged engines, you sometimes can get pre-detonation, or knock with lower-grade fuels. this is because the more octane in the fuel, the higher the temperature at which it will ignite. Turbocharged engines reach very high internal temperatures, and lower grade fuel will combust before it is ignited, causing all sorts of fun problems. I run 93 octane, it runs super smooth.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CAB509

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

I buy the highest octane I can....which around me in cali I can only get 91...

It just cost me 58$ to fill my tank today... gas lis at 3.80 something right now....[>:]

I think that if I had a 12v I would prolly just run 87 in it...lol

haha funny, I run 89 in my 12v because my parents don't complain so much with the bill, but I put in a tank of premium at least once a month (so it's like every 4th tank) during the time i usually drive my car, but right now since it just sits at home most of the time I put premium in whenever I fill up. Ans the only reason I run 89 is because I have a 12v

yeah yeah I know, lucky little SOB spoiled kid who gets his gas payed for, my parents have always supported me and in return they expect a lot from me school wise since I never have time for a job. But I want to get one anyway next year to increase the mod budget and misc. expenditure budget

Wow, just pretend you pay for your gas. Then guys like me who don't have magic silver platters can't laugh at how "hard" high school was... Get a job, it feels better to mod your own car than to mod your parents' car.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: explosionsteve

Wow, just pretend you pay for your gas. Then guys like me who don't have magic silver platters can't laugh at how "hard" high school was... Get a job, it feels better to mod your own car than to mod your parents' car.
never pretended High School was hard, and anyway my parents wouldn't let me buy my own car, ( trust me I tried, it's why I have a 12v and not an S4) and do you really know me, you seem to be saying that from that one comment you can decide who I am and you don't know jack about me, who I am, what I've been through, etc. also I have a summer job and make money along with little side jobs along the way which all payed under the table. I probably know the value of a dollar better then most kids and I for sure know the value of hard work, also I drive a 12v like I said (read 1996 Audi A4) so it's not like mommy and daddy bought me a brand spanking new A4 or something, they bought me an almost 200K mile workhorse that looks good and, will last me through college, and that I can play with and mod.

and the silver platter, yeah just because my parents sacrificed (and I mean a very large amount) to make sure that me and my two other siblings went to very good schools and were able to focus on being kids instead of having to buy everything we needed doesn't mean in any way shape or form that I have a silver platter in front of me and get everything I ask for. Actually I buy most everything I own SO why don't you get to know someone before you judge them as a silver platter spoon fed spoiled rich kid??

I'm done , thanks for letting me get that out, i rarely e-throw down (as those of you who are regulars here know)but when some calls me out as a spoiled kid I get pissed off.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

My parents helped me out a shitload. I appreciate it. Nothing wrong with it.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sclivin
I used to have a 2002 Mazda Millenia that said it was supposed to use 93 octane, but I ran it using 87 octane for almost 70k without any problems.
At least one voice to go against the crowd of highly tuned and/or octane paranoid on here. You will NOT notice ANY difference running 87 octane in your '96 12V. Same as the Mazda. Drive a 1000 miles on each tracking the mileage each fill up if you don't believe it. If you really want to save a few bucks on gas... just drive slower.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 AM

Running 87 octane is giving yourknock sensor a workout and your pcm is compensating by retarding the timing.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

Props for rollin' a millenia, I had a 99 Millenia S and it was the ****, however I did end up selling it once icould tell the supercharger was running out of life.

As for gasoline, I run 92, which is the middle grade at the pump I go to, and its $3.49.

I think you'll be fine as long as you don't plug in diesel.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

93 in the 2000 2.8 30V