B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

not boosting right, heeeeeellllllllllllllp

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Default not boosting right, heeeeeellllllllllllllp

I am having some problems, well mainly 1. My car doesnt boost what its suppose to boost. This is long, bare with me.

I got chipped last week and the first day it was done, the car hauled raped ***. Next morning, it seemed down on its power, was told by the noise that the DV was shot. It was stock and 175k miles old. I replaced the DV with a EvoMS and went on my way. It felt a little bit stronger but nothing like the first day.

Today we tore the tip off, checked the turbo, no shaft play. Boost leak tested it and my boost gauge dropped off really quick, i found a leak on the inlet pipe from the intercooler to the TB. wasnt cracked so i just tightened it up and that leak was gone. After that, the gauge didnt drop AS FAST but still dropped down. We didnt hear anything else and even used a sethascope to listen and heard nothinig else leaking.

If I let the car sit and idle for 20 minutes, it will climb to the middle between cold and hot on the temp gauge, at this point, it boosts to its max, not the 18-20 i should be seeing, but to the max that it decides to at that time, it was 10 till today, now its 13-14 at most. as soon as you do it a time or two, the cold air has cooled the car to the point where the car is only 1 line above cold and the oil went from 175 to 150, and sees a max of 10-11psi if i'm lucky. It doesnt spike, I did a 3rd gear run from 3000 rpm and just laid the gas, boost gauge went to 11psi and stayed till it started dropping off around 5500.

My car is nDBW, so it doesnt have a MAP, so i cant log group 115. Here is the log from last night where I couldnt get more then 10-11 out of it.

ignore the 02 sensor log, i guess that log is for dbw cars because i have no fault codes. I clicked fault codes in vag com, that checks soft vaults too, right?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

what i would do is let it go for a few days more. and see what happens. before you do any costly things to try and solve it. iam sure the ecu is still learning some of itself over again. who did you have it tuned/chipped by?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear

what is your vacuum reading on your boost gauge at idle and at like 3k rpms coasting?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 AM

my car is dbc, its pretty instant when getting chipped.. it wouldnt feel stronger, then die out the first night and then a week later, still rocking 10 psi.

when the car is warmed up, its between 20-24 depending how warm it is.. off throttle its around 24-26..

Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
4th Gear

i think this is the same guy that was talking to me on AIM..

he said he got tuned by SpeedTuning and asked for the most aggressive software they had.

Hes getting the same problem i had... well... still have.. was running good for me for a few weeks.. then it randomly started to drop. to a max psi of 10-12 and hold around 5.. i feel stock again. and i bet he does too.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 AM

you are right.. it is me. i was hoping you had found your problem, but you havent. guess i am on the search because no matter where i start a thread, from fourtitude's 1.8 forum, the zine, it just gets overlooked and no suggestions.. guess its time to just buy a bunch of ****.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
4th Gear

yea i posted on the zine and vwvortex and i got no replies

on a local tuner forum i posted, and i got 3 people telling me to meet them to test for a leak... i was gona go then i met up with some 1 closer and he said it was a ects.. i believed him cause he has a 706fwhp GTI

Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by black99.5a4
my car is dbc, its pretty instant when getting chipped.. it wouldnt feel stronger, then die out the first night and then a week later, still rocking 10 psi.

when the car is warmed up, its between 20-24 depending how warm it is.. off throttle its around 24-26..
the vac reading at idle shouldnt change much between being cold and hot. when i first start my car its around -20 when fully warm its about -23 (both at idle). if yours is varying much more then it could be several small leaks that seal themselves up when everything gets up to temperature. although those readings are about average so theres no huge obvious leaks.

what were you boosting when you first got the chip? you said you are supposed to be seeing 18-20psi, have you ever seen 20psi before? it sounds like your having cooling issues, maybe a stuck open thermostat because your car should hover around the half way mark on the coolant temp gauge, plus or minus a bar or two. it could also be a dead sensor, replacement sensors are like $10 so its worth it to just change it out.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:19 PM

i didnt have my gauge in the first day, but its noticeably slower.. i swapped comps with a buddy today, i held his chips boost just fine, he couldnt get more then 11 out of mine.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Sounds like my problem, but when I disconnect the maf it boosts fine, with the maf plugged in only 10 psi. Boosts fine with stock ecu with maf plugged in but only 2 psi with maf unplugged. I can't tell if the maf is bad or not, tried cleaning and put in 2 other used ones and they worked the same as mine. Check your maf and see if that has any effect.

Quick Reply: not boosting right, heeeeeellllllllllllllp