B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noobie a4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Site Moderator

I hope you didn't order the control arms yet. This is the fcp grotan kit that I got through a different seller for a lot less:
LINK

It doesn't say it's fcp grotan in the ad, but it is.

It says it's for 1.8, but it's the same parts for 1.8 and 2.8.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
I hope you didn't order the control arms yet. This is the fcp grotan kit that I got through a different seller for a lot less:
LINK

It doesn't say it's fcp grotan in the ad, but it is.

It says it's for 1.8, but it's the same parts for 1.8 and 2.8.
It says will fit 97+, my cars a 96 will they still work? It looks like they will just want to be 100% def before I buy lol and ill def get to save 100 buck!

DOES ANYONE KNOW/HAVE OR WERE TO GET THOSE TO PANELS FOR THE BACK ON THE SIDE OF THE REAR WINDOW, WANT THOSE AS BAD AS I NEED TO FIX THE FRONT. WIFEY ISNT TO HAPPY ABOUT THAT AND THE WAY IT LOOKS SO I GOTTA KEEP THIS CAR LOOKING NICE.

Last edited by devlzluv; 07-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

I've never seen a difference for a 96 vs the later years and I know of a friend's 96 that is running CAs taken from an 01.5. You can use those. As for the c-pillar trim panels, go to the classifieds here on AF. There are guys parting cars out. That's your best bet by far. For struts, I highly recommend finding someone selling a set of used S4 struts and springs. They're beefier than those on the A4, are a direct swap, and ride/handle way better. A good used set should be about $100-150 for all four struts and springs. It's a great setup for an A4.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Site Moderator

Yes they will fit. It just says 97+ because thats when they introduced the 1.8 in the US, but B5 chasis is B5 chasis. Those panels are going to be hard to find, I think. You can call or send a parts request to www.shokan.com or look in the classifieds for a part-out. Shokan is probably your best bet.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

It says it will fit '96 as well - search 1996 on the page.

As for the pillars, you're probably going to have to look for someone parting a car out in classifieds...

Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM

awwesome thx guys, ordering the ca now and looking for the s4 suspension. lol already like this forum alot.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Lol under further review of my car today, didnt realize what the sline badge was for until now and it has the s line trim inside but the auto electric seat. Comes to make me think someone may have slapped a badge on there and called it a s line. Is there a way I can tell if it offically came with the sports package and if so then the suspension should be sport which would be better since those struts are alot easier to find.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM

uggg getting more and more piested as i drive this car, took it out today and really pushed it to see if anythign else would happen, well gd it did. Idles kinda rough and went it starts out in each gear at lower rpm it kinda hesitates when you give it gas until you reach over 2k rpm, car has good pickup once out of that range and drives nice. Also it sounds like the gd car has a turbo when i know it doesnt. It sounds like a turbo spooling when I give it gas (lol i know what turbo sounds like had 3 cars before with them) idk if maybe a vaccum hose leak or these cars just sound like this. Im a decent mechanic and can fix a good amount of things and if i cant fix it then i have a good amount of friends that can help and basically i can always have someone that knows what there doign to help.

Truthfully i feel as though my dumbass just didnt push it hard enough when i test drove and wifey said she wanted it so i just said ok since i was tired and risk of argument. Guys I need some help/ideas of what to do cuz im to the point/on the wall to keep and fix or sell it.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Site Moderator

With it's age and mileage, the primary 02 sensors should be replaced unless you know they've been done already. They get real lazy after 100k. I'd replace all the vacuum lines, spark plugs, and air filter. It's hard to diagnose sounds over the internet but the spooling sound could be a belt pulley, pilot bearing, or tons of things. Even if you know a lot it's always good to have a second or third opinion on these things.

But with the slowness bellow 2k rpms... It could be 02 sensor or something else, but remember that you only got 170hp in a heavy awd car. You're gunna have to sort of let it wind up to get going as it is.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
With it's age and mileage, the primary 02 sensors should be replaced unless you know they've been done already. They get real lazy after 100k. I'd replace all the vacuum lines, spark plugs, and air filter. It's hard to diagnose sounds over the internet but the spooling sound could be a belt pulley, pilot bearing, or tons of things. Even if you know a lot it's always good to have a second or third opinion on these things.

But with the slowness bellow 2k rpms... It could be 02 sensor or something else, but remember that you only got 170hp in a heavy awd car. You're gunna have to sort of let it wind up to get going as it is.
lol ya shes a big heavy car but the slowness im describing is almost a stutter before it goes, never thought of the pulley belt (sounds like a bad belt now that I think about it the way is makes a wining sound. Im trying to find a local person in the va/hampton roads area that actually has a audi and wouldnt mind driving my car and giving me a run down, im estimating bout 2500 in repairs to get it back up to my peace of mind and knowing its were it needs to be. Im gonna replace the o2 sensors soon but wanna know if its 3 or 4 wire o2 sensor cuz those are cheaper since you have to splice into the harness and i can wire things together like nobodys business. Ugg I wanna keep it since the interior and exterior are damn near flawless minus those few things on the interior. Lol gd das audi gonna end up making me hate and love this car!

Quick Reply: Noobie a4 owner