B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noob, and options question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Noob, and options question

Hi all - new to the forum, and hopefully in a week, new to Audi ownership. I've got my search narrowed down to two particular B5s, one in North Carolina and one in Indiana.

One of them, a 99.5, lacks the power seats and the typical B5 wheels. I suppose the ones on this car are a lesser wheel, but I'm not sure. I'll attempt to include a pic below.

QUESTION: How did the option packaging work on these cars? The wheels are fine, and so is the manual seat (assuming it DOES still have a [manual] ability to raise/lower the seat, yes??). But did the performance equipment of the cars also vary? If my car is less equipped (wheels and seats), might that mean it also has inferior suspension or engine characteristics? Or was the performance stuff standard across the whole line?

**EDIT: it's a 1.8t Quattro, stick.**

Thanks for any help!

And now a little about me: I've typically owned Japanese cars, mostly Mazda (MX-6, Millenia, Mazdaspeed Miata). This will be my first Euro car, hopefully any repair costs won't sink me . And finally I'm co-owner of a rapidly growing facebook group for Miata owners, it's a lot of fun.

Name:  Audiwheel_zps50b3a8c0.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  61.6 KB

Last edited by DeutschTraveler; 01-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Legal Moderator

It has manual seats because power seats were never offered with the 1.8t engine, only with the v6. Those wheels are regular old wheels, standard equipment for that year. From that, I'm guessing it isn't a sport package.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

Ah, I hadn't noticed that none of the 1.8t's had the power seats. Good thing I don't care about them!

The Sport Package: I've searched and haven't found the info, what did that package consist of? And does it make a noticeable difference in performance? Finally, what's the easiest way to know if a car has it? [I'm thinking the 8 spoke wheels may have come on some cars even without the package(?)]

Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

I believe the sports package included things like different springs/struts, different rims, and probably the sunroof.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

The sport package comes with a slightly lower and slightly stiffer (we're talking a half inch lower) suspension, and a 3 spoke steering wheel. I believe that is it.

There was a winter weather package that includes heated seats, mirrors, door locks, and a ski pouch from the trunk to the cabin.

There was also an option for a trip computer.

There is no difference in the engine between sport and non sport models. The later model AWM puts out more power due to a small increase in boost from 8 to 11psi. Don't let that weigh into your decision since chipping either car will bring the boost up to 17-20psi.

You can see some more of the differences here: http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a4/diff/

Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Also note that it's possible to have a sport steering wheel without the sport package. There may have been other similar options as well.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

so, in other words, there is really not much difference that you can't make up with mods, etc. I've never seen one without a sun roof, but maybe I'm not looking far enough. you should buy a car in good shape (relative for age) and be able to work on it yourself, no matter the 'package.' good hunting.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm. The car I'm leaning toward has the sunroof, has what i think is probably the sport wheel (?, see pic below), but doesn't have the Sport wheels (has the wheels shown in Post#1). So probably not a Sport Package. It's out of state, I haven't driven it yet.

The first A4 I drove a couple weeks ago, was really floaty. Then drove another one, and I liked the suspension much, much better. If the first one was floaty because that's how the non-Sport Package cars just are, then I absolutely don't want a non-S.P. But surely, as floaty as it was, it was just worn out.

I need to see if I can find out whether either/both of those cars I've driven are Sport Package cars - and apparently that's guess work based on a collection of options. Unless maybe the shocks are different and I could look at them?

The wheel I think is a Sport Wheel...?

Name:  Audisteeringwheel_zps8c09929c.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  63.7 KB

Old 01-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Legal Moderator

yup that's a sport wheel. to see if the suspension is sport, check the springs and shocks. The springs will be black with a violet and green dot on them, and the shocks will be red. even if you don't get a sport model, youd only have to change out suspension and sway bars. not a big deal and you'd probably upgrade those things eventually anyways. as for the wheel, youll change those too

Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks much for that solid info on the Sport Package springs and shocks!

Quick Reply: Noob, and options question