B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noise while driving and off

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Noise while driving and off

I've checked out a lot of posts on strange noises, haven't found anything yet like this, though.

My 03 Avant (1.8t, tip, quattro) has been making noises which seem to be coming from the stereo/glovebox area. I had previously noticed it upon shutoff, while I am still sitting in the car, however it has recently been kicking in while I am driving. It is rather noticeable, I can hear it above the music, when I have the stereo on.

It sounds like a whirring noise, somewhat like when your disc tray closes on your computer, and is intermittent, cycling over periods of 3-4 seconds, then quiet for 1-2 and then back again. I can hear it while sitting in the car, but not under the hood. It doesn't seem to matter if the Ac, heat, stereo, CD, MP3, etc. were in operation before the car was shut off. However, the noise does not sound the same as when I load a CD into the stereo, and is independant of that, anyway; it will happen if the stereo is off.

I am NOT car savvy, by any means, and this is probably just some stupid little noise. There doesn't appear to be anything stuck in the cassette or CD slot, there are no cassette or cds in there at the time. I am going nuts trying to source the noise. I will say, though, that I had LoJack installed in my car when I purchased it, and I also recently had to have the switch for the sunroof replaced as it was opening on its own.

My fear is that I am having electrical gremlins, as that is why I had to replace my VW with this car, and I am probably being overly paranoid.

Is this just normal? Is there anything I should try before bringing it back to Audi of Stratham?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Noise while driving and off

is it only when the car is moving, or just when it's running?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Noise while driving and off

When it is moving, when it is parked and idling, and when it is off, key out of ignition. Basically any time. I've even rolled down the windows, gotten out, shut the door, stuck my head back in the window, and heard it.

I just now realized this is posted in the wrong section. My apologies. But thanks for any input.