B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

This noise.. WHERE ARE YOU COMING FROM?! (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM
1st Gear
Default This noise.. WHERE ARE YOU COMING FROM?! (Video)

I'm at a loss. I do not know what this sound is or where it is coming from. I've looked the best I could and cannot find the source. It has been there for a few weeks now. Listen for the metallic rattle that only happens between idle and 2500-3k. Does not matter the temp of the car, cold start or warmed up it is always there. I originally thought it was the cats as one was black from overheating so I replaced the whole exhaust from the manifolds back. New flex pipe, hangers, muffler strap, etc. The noise seems to be most audible from the drivers side wheel well. It is more apparent at the bottom of the motor as opposed to the top, likewise is sounds more from the rear than the front by the belts, accessories and ****. It's clear enough to not sound like bearing of any sort, almost like a metal pellet is being rattled around in a tin can.

The person who pinpoints this problem gets an autographed picture of me posing on the hood. Clothing optional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3TT47VbTyo

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Sound's like something broke inside smashed it self to tiny Little piece's and it's now loose in your engine therefore making all that noise.<--------Highly unlikely and no i do not want a picture of you posing on the hood

Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

It sounds exhaust related to me also, did you check all the exhuast parts under the hood? Or maybe a heat shield touching another metal part?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Its not exhaust related.. I just put brand new everything from the manifolds back. I did check the heatshield and **** and nothing it rattling from there.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

idk sounds like a bad cat

Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Just changed them... Brand new, noise was still there unchanged even after first start up.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Actual WIZARD

I still stand by alternator or something like that

these cars are fun

Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Changed the alternator too Could be though, it was from the wreckers.

These cars are like my ex.. they keep you guessing, make tons of noise and theyre full of wiring problems.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Good educated guesses, but I supposed a picture of me isn't a good motivator. I'm starting to think its the tbt or something else like that. Possibly alternator or water pump.. Something on the front of the motor. I can't remember if it was there before I did the alternator or not, as I was baked the whole time doing it. Btw, my buddy and I got that ****** out without putting the front end into service mode. Dropped out off the bottom with a little work.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
1st Gear
Smile

have you checked the clamps underneath the car...there not hitting the floor underneath the car, somthing rattling the exhaust, i had simalar problem...good luck

Quick Reply: This noise.. WHERE ARE YOU COMING FROM?! (Video)