B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noise when starting and others..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default Noise when starting and others..

Alright so I dont want to start another front end noise thread but ive got a few noises I hope someone can shed some light on.. First I wanna start by saying i notice there is a gap between the rubber and the surrounding metal on my snub mount (I dont know if it is supposed to be like that), my entire front end is new, CAs, struts, CV joints, etc, EXCEPT for one TRE that has no tearing at the boot and was tight last time I checked. There is a tear in one of my lower CAs boot which i tried to seal, but they were replaced <15,000 miles ago. Now for the noises:
First i heard this tight rattle in the front. Its kind of weird its like a rattle but it sounds like its under strong tension, with a hint of a crack noise too, this happens under bumps at low speeds.

Second, I every once and a while hear a rubbery squeek and a also sometimes a cyclic sounding click under acceleration.

Third, starting tonight, there is a cyclic rattle when the car turns over, it almost sounds like the starter was connected to another pulley and belt that led to nowhere or something that was loose, power steering is fine, engine runs fine, AC is fine.

Im not sure where to start, Im about to start college so i dont really want to replace the CA, the TRE, and the engine mounts.. So im wondering what would be most likely if anyone has some thought or if there is something I can test to narrow it down.

As I hit 150,000 miles my airbag light came on again (fixed loose wire like before) and my car died for a half second with the service engine soon light (never happened again, no code), and now im hearing these noises... Not that im in to superstition but its starting to scare me haha, my airbag light the 1st time was the beginning of my front end project before.

Any thoughts would be great Thanks.