B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noise when depress throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah sound might help, try having someone rev the car for you while you check it out.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Slut

a turbo on the way out can sound like a dentist drill... pull off the Turbo Inlet Pipe and see if there is any play in the shaft... throttle bodies dont really rattle fyi. The first thing i thought of was the turbo spooling, the dv lettin off, and a very commonly noisy boost gauge.

sorry for jumpin on your back, but it really sounded like "i bored my block by letting the intake suck up sand" thread. people from other forums like to **** around sometimes... and it was your very first post, so you could understand im sure.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Dallas09
Rattling metal might be the exhaust manifold,
NOT SURE WHY A MANIFLOD WOULD RATTLE
Woosh sound sounds like a wastegate/diverter valve...
WASTEGATE... NO
The only reasons why I think you would hear it was if it were replaced with a non stock one, you have a non stock intake, or you have an intake leak somewhere.
NONSTOCK? AFTERMARKET MAYBE??? INTAKE LEAK IS FEASIBLE... MAKING THE TURBO AND BLOWOFF MORE AUDIBLE
The acutal noise from a turbo is a high pitch whine..
YOUR THINKING OF A SUPERCHARGER
I guess you posted at a bad time, happened to be when the ******** were on I guess,
YEA THATS IT... WE ARE ON HERE TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE DAY IN AND DAY OUT CUZ WE ARE "********"
Edited to fix the quote html.... and its tellin me my message is tpoo short? weird

Last edited by FASTER; 03-26-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRf-iEaJ02g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRf-iEaJ02g (audible after the 2 secs) Hear the turbo sound?? Its not as loud as a supercharger, but the sound of a turbo.

Dont try and start **** by correcting me with words, non stock- aftermarket, same difference.

"YEA THATS IT... WE ARE ON HERE TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE DAY IN AND DAY OUT CUZ WE ARE "********"
"im thinkin this is some dick from another forum...."

If your gonna respond with telling this guy with his first post that hes a dick, then your not trying to help at all, dont even bother posting, your sarcasm really helps the problem too... Doesnt matter if you are on here day in and day out, dont pretend you gave any effort in your post earlier.

Ill admit, wrong word with the wastegate, but the woosh sounds like a DV to me.

Lets just say that everything i posted was wrong... Eitherway someone could come along and correct me, its a forum, anyone can respond, thats how they work, and everything would go alot smoother without people being ******** and with half *** responses, everyone is trying to help here.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Slut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRf-iEaJ02g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRf-iEaJ02g (audible after the 2 secs) Hear the turbo sound?? Its not as loud as a supercharger, but the sound of a turbo.
i dont hear anything on either of those clips that sounds anything remotely like a supercharger
If your gonna respond with telling this guy with his first post that hes a dick, then your not trying to help at all, dont even bother posting, your sarcasm really helps the problem too... Doesnt matter if you are on here day in and day out, dont pretend you gave any effort in your post earlier.
I explained myself and you gotta admit it sounded like a joke thread. Especially with 1 postcount. seems like he made a username just to make a dumb thread. Guess I was wrong and i went on to try and help him.
Ill admit, wrong word with the wastegate, but the woosh sounds like a DV to me.
agreed
Lets just say that everything i posted was wrong... .
Awww... dont beat yourself up... it was only mostly wrong lol

Go eat some alphabet soup in your "FasterA4ThanUrs PJ's" and have a good sob session

Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Lol, wow take it down guys. Don't get all uptight over an internet forum. Think we can all get back on track now.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

I thought a certain threshold must be reached before the turbo engages. The noise is louder and lasts for a longer period of time when i really punch it (accelerate hard), but I can now also hear it when I am cruising very slowly and barely press and depress on the throttle (so slight that the car barely responds with acceleration).

it is also not a very steady sound - it has pulses to it: "cshh cshh cshhh cshh cshh" in very quick succession - more distinct pulses the harder i press on the throttle.

This is why I thought the throttle body cover was maybe dirty and rattling a bit (maybe couldn't close all the way).

I was trying to capture the sound on a sound byte but the microphone on my blackberry is not sensitive enough.

Last edited by smogs1; 03-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Slut

Maybe the N75 is on the fritz.