B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noise when depress throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Noise when depress throttle

I have a strange noise occurring when I depress the throttle after accelerating. It sounds like a cshhhh with a slight undertone of metal rattling?

I am guessing my throttle body may need a cleaning, any suggestions?

Last edited by smogs1; 03-26-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear

my suggestion would be to give information about which car you have when you post- year, engine, transmission, quattro/fronttrack. theres nothing more irritating then people asking questions without giving the information required to answer them.

i can tell you with a good amount of certainty that it is not your throttle body as it would not make that noise.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by smogs1
I have a strange noise occurring when I depress the throttle after accelerating. It sounds like a whoosh/cshhhh with a slight undertone of metal rattling?

I am guessing my throttle body may need a cleaning, any suggestions ?
im thinkin this is some dick from another forum.... sounds like you have a turbo lol... the metal rattling could be a boost gauge?

But we will play along... what are the details on the car?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Sorry guys,

I am a total newb (gotta start somewhere).

The car is a 1999 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 AM

My car makes a similar sound. I have 183K and I have narrowed it down to something rattling in my driver side catalytic convertor. Put your car up on a lift and have someone depress the accelorator and see if the noises come from the cat. It could either be internal damage to the cat in which case you have to replace the cat or live with it as I am doing. You could also remove the bottom screen off the cat and see if there are rocks stuck in there causing the noise. Welcome aboard and good luck

Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the welcome - I can only reproduce the noise when I am driving and it doesn't always occur. It is a very unique sound, I will try and pick up a sound bite and share it with you.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by smogs1
I have a strange noise occurring when I depress the throttle after accelerating. It sounds like a whoosh/cshhhh with a slight undertone of metal rattling?

I am guessing my throttle body may need a cleaning, any suggestions ?
thats called a turbo spooling... and the cshh is when you let off the throttle. the pressure is escaping out your intake.

i really hope u weren't serious...

Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Jesus are you guys really jumping on him or??? Lol. Now the metal grinding part sounds odd, but yes the woooosh sound is normal for the turbo.
I dunno maybe cause he smiled at the end? I'll just be quiet.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

No this only started to occur recently, it is definitely not the turbo spool. My guess was the throttle body (the valve is it called?) may be rattling and producing the noise.

I am being serious, the noise is really hard to describe - I will need to provide a sound byte when I find a sensitive microphone.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

Rattling metal might be the exhaust manifold, or something else said above, I wouldnt worry about it. Woosh sound sounds like a wastegate/diverter valve... but you cant usually hear the stock one, so kind of strange, the valve is located under the car near the very front passenger side of the car, it has two equal size hoses running to it (maybe a little over an inch in diameter), and another very small vacum line, it looks like little black canister that you could hold in the palm of your hand. The only reasons why I think you would hear it was if it were replaced with a non stock one, you have a non stock intake, or you have an intake leak somewhere. The acutal noise from a turbo is a high pitch whine.. I guess you posted at a bad time, happened to be when the ******** were on I guess, your question wasnt that bad, people post about simpler issues that can be found in their owners manual all the time.

Quick Reply: Noise when depress throttle