B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No start, no clicking,no bussing, batt good, no turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
I wanna learn to hotwire my car

Is it just me, or does EVERYONES b5 mess up in the same way at the same time. Every post is ignition switch related or heat related
Lol I've noticed that. Awhile back everyone's heat went ****-up. This week it's been timing belt issues. Wonder what next week will bring...

Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NHolzschuh
umm if theres no attempt of it trying to start and no noise, wouldn't that be the ignition/starter?
You would think so but not in my case.

A.Estilo

Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Ok I am having the same problem. I checked the fuses on the inside of the car and they were all good but where is the starter fuse??? Is there one?

I was going to start my car but when I turned the key, I didn't turn it all the way and kind of just half went to start the car and then all of a sudden it wouldn't start. It ran and started perfectly before this. This screamed blown fuse to me but I can't find the starter fuse. Assuming there wasn't one I bought an ignition switch and installed it. Still the car won't start and when you turn the key, everything turns on but nothing even attempts to start the car just like before. This doesn't sound like a starter problem because I know what they sound like when they go bad. This was sudden and had something to do with the time I half turned the key.

Anyone have anything for me?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

I cOuld really use ANY suggestions at this point.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

Not sure if you're still having this issue or not, MM, but I'm still trouble shooting mine. I found this. Hope it helps a little.
http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...diag/index.htm

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default sameee issue

ok so this is my fault but i am having a very similiar issue....i have a 96 audi a4 and have had this car for about a year but took 8-9months doing body work, repainting, ect...ect... and it all boils down to i have put around 1,500 miles on the car and i started having an issue. every time it would rain my light that flashed when my alarm was armed started flashing when i was driving. looked and looked and couldnt find anything except a little water in my license plate lights. ordered new ones but still didnt fix the problem. well one day i went out to go to lunch at work and it was pouring the rain down. my alarm was going off to a single beeeeeeeeeeeeeppppp and no matter what i could do my key would not turn off the alarm when i unlocked the door. in turn when i tried to start my car the car would not even crank. i unhooked the battery and went home to hop on here to see if i could figure out the issue...went back the next day after the rain had stopped and somehow when i unlocked the car the alarm disengaged and it let me start the car. i took the car home immediately when i got it in the garage i shut it off tried to start it again and nothing.after much searching i found my central locking pump to be submerged in 1/2 inch of water. figured that was my problem so found a good used one installed it in my car. now my locks work fine my alarm engages and disengages correctly and i dont have my alarm going on random times butt now my car still wont crank i have nothing and for some reason there is a gray relay under my dash (think its my fuel pump relay) as soon as i turn the key to the first click to power up everything on the dash my battery light flashes to the beat of the clicking noise the relay is making. i replaced the relay with a used one to see if it would fix the problem the relay worked 4-5 times and the other one i purchased is now doing the same thing. this has me thoroughly confused. i purchased a new ignition switch which should be here today but does anyone else have any suggestions sorry for the long story lol...good thing is i did find what was letting the water in when i put the car back together i only had 2 of the 4 passenger tail light nuts on the car and they were barely on there themselves.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

does the pump i put in have to be programed with vag com in order for it to let my ignition start any suggestions would be much appreciated at this point i'm ready to just start shooting holes in the car haha i was looking somewhere were it could be possibly a relay in the alarm control module could be bad

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

if anyone could please help with my situation that would be much appreciated
thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

Sooo, let me sift through everything you wrote... you had water leaking in, then the lock module was in water, once you replaced that, you got it to start once, now it won't start anymore? The alarm was going off constant at one point (so naturally, the engine was disabled). I don't know if the pump has to be "coded" per se, and since you got it to work once after you replaced it, I would say no.

What engine and transmission do you have?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

not sure on transmission its automatic but its a 96 so its the 12valve 2.8 v6 engine and as far as getting the car to work once after i replaced the pump it actually only worked once the day after it completely messed up i got it home from work and it hasn't worked since even with the new pump....ugghh what a nightmare haha

Last edited by harryb5a4; 04-01-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: No start, no clicking,no bussing, batt good, no turn over