B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No start - Codes inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Default No start - Codes inside

Hello all. I am usually on Audizine and lurk here often. I'm trying to get as much input as possible.

For the past few days the car has been acting a little funky. Like I wouldn't be giving it gas, though I was on cold starts and then it would pick up and go like normal. Today, I get to work no issues turn the car off and then come lunch time the car wont turn over. It cranks and cranks but nothing. My initial thought is the fuel pump. I hear no priming at all. I cleared all codes with vag-com but none are coming back when I crank. I had 15 stored codes no CEL but I havent cleared the ecu in a long time. I will post them below.

I tested the fuel pump by pulling the line at the rail. Lots of pressure at the rail, so I can rule that out. Below I see 2 things - The Throttle Body and all 4 injectors showing short. Any ideas? I need to test for injector pulse tomorrow but other ideas welcome.

15 Faults Found:

18014 - Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction

17964 - Limp mode

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Bank 1 Sensor 1 faulty (Being replaced)

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected (From Seafoaming)

16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected (Seafoam)

16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected == (Seafoam)

16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected (Seafoam)

16524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: No Activity == (Test Pipe/Dont Care)

17645 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30): Open Circuit ==

17647 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 3 (N32): Open Circuit

17648 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 4 (N33): Open Circuit ==

17646 -Fuel Injector for Cylinder 2 (N31): Open Circuit ==

17953 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction === (I had this unplugged at one point)

17952 - Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal Too High

17580 - Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal too Low

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

I also forgot to mention I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T ATW Engine Code. My mods are Unitrash 415cc Stage 3 Tune with a GT2871r elim with all supporting bolt-on mods (FMIC/Test Pipe/Etc)

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Legal Moderator

holy **** thats a lot of codes. id start by clearing them and seeing which ones come back. im not that good with electronics and sensors, but im thinking you may have a bad ground somewhere. its kindof a long shot, but a possibility. where all the grounds are for all of those things, but if you have a schematic, check it out. if they gorund near each other it then becomes a good possibility. or you could check the big ground on the passanger side motor mount

Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
holy **** thats a lot of codes. id start by clearing them and seeing which ones come back. im not that good with electronics and sensors, but im thinking you may have a bad ground somewhere. its kindof a long shot, but a possibility. where all the grounds are for all of those things, but if you have a schematic, check it out. if they gorund near each other it then becomes a good possibility. or you could check the big ground on the passanger side motor mount
Hey thanks for the reply. I'll check the main ground, that's a good idea. I'm no good with sensors or anything either, I'm hoping someone chimes in that does. Weird thing is all the codes were cleared but none come back. I have no clue what's going on

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM

If you cleared them and none came back. Thats a good start they won't come back tho till the car has time to figure out whats wrong.

It does sound like you have a short somewhere will all the electrical codes you got, a short or bad ground. If its cranking and not starting next thing to check is spark and fuel. pop the plug out ground them and crank make sure they are all firing. For fueling i would say pull the rail and injectors and put each one in a bottle and crank make sure the bottles are all filling up consistenly.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

^I know all about Murphy

New codes.

Cleared codes/Battery pull. Cranked.

P1545 (Throttle valve controller: Malfunction
P1568 (Mechanical Failure J338)

Cleared codes again

Cranked again, below is all that showed.
P1545

Any way to test throttle body with vag com or without?? Measuring blocks maybe? No bentley with me at work. Wouild be nice to check without vag-com.

Thanks for help all.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

Check the throttle valve for sticking, as it may me3 staying closed when the computer tries to open it.

P1568 OBD Trouble Code

1 result found

P1568 - Audi

Type

Powertrain - Manufacturer Controlled DTC - Manufacturer Controlled

Description

Throttle control unit - mechanical fault

Cause

Throttle valve tight/sticking

Notes

Throttle control unit incorporates the following components: TP sensor, CTP switch (if fitted), ISC actuator/position sensor or throttle motor/position sensor.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:19 PM

can also try a TPS alignment. Turn key to second click, do not turn car over, you should hear some actuation noises under the hood. LEt it sit for a minute and start it up

Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by z28pete
Check the throttle valve for sticking, as it may me3 staying closed when the computer tries to open it.
que? aeb's do not have electronic throttles, therefore the computer cannot open it. but to ss92, is the car actually drivable? does it idle?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

Redline - I've got an ATW so DBW Throttle.

I cleared codes yesterday - Pulled two for J338 Mechanical Error after cranking

pulled battery, cleared codes - Pulled Error on Throttle Body Alignment. I'm 99% positive it's the Throttle body and overnighted a new one. I will update if that resolves my problems.

Quick Reply: No start - Codes inside