B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No one can figure out whats wrong with my car lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation No one can figure out whats wrong with my car lol

so i brought my car into the shop bc im having engine stutters and feels like my car isnt getting fuel..the car does not throw a CEL at all...they tell me its prob my turbo bc i just changed my fuel filter and it was running almost perfect before so the did that and put on the k04 and that made everything worse, so the put new injectors and a new 4 bar FPR still the same thing, so they throw it on the dyno and they take out the MAF and it ran 80% clean at 5-6psi, but with the MAF put in it feels like the car will blow up if u put any power down so we dont even go near the accelerator, it made 60hp max on the dyno with the MAF plugged in...so we take it off and do a compression check and we had a small leak form a piston ring coming from the 2nd cylinder but that was such a minor leak you would never even notice it when driving, we run every test we can think of on the car and still the tests say everything is normal but we still have the problem where it feels like no fuel is getting to the car...everything is replaced besides the ecu, we hope that this is the problem...im waiting on apr to send the stock file over for the car and then we will go from there. then we can try a performance chip once we get the k04 running like a clean k03...but any one else ever had an experience like this one?

Last edited by gaberossi; 05-15-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
3rd Gear

your sig is annoyingly large.

what were the compression #s from each cylinder?

what does "80% clean" mean?

a k04 will run perfectly fine on chipped k03 software. if you are spending all this time on the dyno i would hope you are running logs at the same time. logging in vagcom would probably show you the problem within minutes. you would be able to instantly see fuel trims, timing, load, throttle position, MAF readings, etc. instead of guessing as to why it feels the way it does.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

see thats the thing...everything comes up normal and the ecu is not accepting the vagcom for some freaking reason i dont know why so we are getting a new ecu and hoping its that...the car wasnt running 100% u would still get a small stutter so we randomly said the car is running at 80% out of 100%.....and im really sorry for you guys and my signature, i own a pretty old mac and i cant update java or nothing so i cant download any program to make this pic smaller i feel like an *** haha

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Guru

you need to make your sig pic smaller, as it puts your sentences off the side of the screen...and i like most people will not scroll to read it, specially those on phones

i would quit throwing money at the car to diagnos it........ take it to someone that can though

Old 05-16-2009, 03:29 AM
3rd Gear

he is aware of the sig problem. try this one i made for you...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...303/audib5.jpg

your best bet on getting an easy diagnosis is getting vagcom to work. instead of replacing random stuff i would spend your time on that right now. thats really the only way to get much of the helpful information to diagnose strange problems like the one you are having.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
he is aware of the sig problem. try this one i made for you...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...303/audib5.jpg

your best bet on getting an easy diagnosis is getting vagcom to work. instead of replacing random stuff i would spend your time on that right now. thats really the only way to get much of the helpful information to diagnose strange problems like the one you are having.
haha thanks ghost i really appreciate it ill get on it right away....i got a new ecu in the car in stock mode and so far so good...we ordered 380cc injectors and a new unitronics chip, we put the 4 bar FPR in the engine as well...runs pretty clean on stock setup and the turbo sounds real good now, nice and crisp...hopefully this software will come real soon and ill have some videos posted and ill have all the logs posted to show you what happened.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

Have you tried running a new maf in the car? Maybe the car is not tuned all that well to run without a maf since your car is a pre 2001 which is a narrow band. This means at WOT your ecu has no sensors to help tell it how much fuel to use if you have the maf unplugged and just ends up running off the fuel map in the chip. Only the 2001+ cars with the wide band run well without the maf plugged in since the ecu basically uses a target AFR using the wide band 02 sensor readings.

Seeing that the car actually gets worse with the maf in it is the first thing I would try changing out. It could also be a broken wire in the maf harness which is causing the ecu to get bad readings and throwing off the tuning.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Have you tried running a new maf in the car? Maybe the car is not tuned all that well to run without a maf since your car is a pre 2001 which is a narrow band. This means at WOT your ecu has no sensors to help tell it how much fuel to use if you have the maf unplugged and just ends up running off the fuel map in the chip. Only the 2001+ cars with the wide band run well without the maf plugged in since the ecu basically uses a target AFR using the wide band 02 sensor readings.

Seeing that the car actually gets worse with the maf in it is the first thing I would try changing out. It could also be a broken wire in the maf harness which is causing the ecu to get bad readings and throwing off the tuning.
Right now we have a brand new MAF in there...i have a brand new ecu coming in 2 days then we are going to flash that ecu and plug it in as well as 380cc injectors...i hope this fixes the problem..

Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

but i will check those wires like you said mike...ill get on that today. i really appreciate it!