B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No Low-Beams :: HELP Troubleshoot PLEASE !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by trackstar6
ok so this same thing just happened to me, and everyone I talked to including my audi dealer told me it was my combi switch (i declined the repair) had some beers and took it apart. It actually ended up being my ignition switch. 71$ and a over night part later i was back in business. Good luck.
Bear in mind though that most of the time that this fails, it's the combi-switch. Ignition switch failure is documented as killing the headlights here and there, but 9 times out of 10 (or more) a new combi-switch fixes it.

To the OP, just curious, you didn't check the functionality of the lights, signals, etc, before buying the car? Even so, stuff can and does break like that - hell, when I bought my car, I picked it up, drove to a gas station to fill the tank, and when that tank of gas was gone and the low fuel light came on, from that point on, my sending unit was messed up and the gauge would drop to zero anytime I was under half a tank.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

^ Yeah stuff like that happens. When i bought mine I checked the lights, wipers and all the other stuff you're supposed to check before you buy a car. Worked great! Two days after I bought it the wiper switch sh*t the bed, the wipers would come on and off by themselves. It was kinda trippy because for a day or two I just though I didn't know how to turn them off lol.

OP, sounds like a combi-switch. Be careful with the steering wheel when you replace it, don't want an airbag goin off in your face

GL!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Agreed on care with the airbag - search "airbag" or "combi-switch" or something like that, or dig through my old posts (linked through my profile page) - a couple times I've written out some descriptions on ways to minimize the danger of dealing with airbags so that electrostatic discharge from your body doesn't blow them.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help guys! The headlights did work the 1st time I looked at and drove the car. I did not double check them when we left the DMV (stupid me). "JoeyT" great DIY article. I'm going to take advantage of it today and see what's going on in there. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again, Cameron

Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Okay, so I followed the DIY and cleaned the contact and we're back in business!! Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

no prob... glad to hear you got them working again... and don't be surprised if it happens again... thats what happened to me! but you should be fine

Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CL AUDI EOUS
no prob... glad to hear you got them working again... and don't be surprised if it happens again... thats what happened to me! but you should be fine
Don't scare me..lol.. I have been "using the lever with care" since.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

i just had mine replaced and it was $285 at the shop

Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

not tryin to scare you, more like keeping you aware lol... its no biggy... i bought new (used) parts from a junkyard for like 20 bucks

Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CL AUDI EOUS
not tryin to scare you, more like keeping you aware lol... its no biggy... i bought new (used) parts from a junkyard for like 20 bucks
woot now i have a excuss to visit the junkyard

*loves junkyards*

Quick Reply: No Low-Beams :: HELP Troubleshoot PLEASE !!