B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

no heat...bleed core?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH... Why are we just guessing.. k
first heater does not work.. and your temp guage does not read...
so you flushed the the core... thats good i bet you coule flush it again.. and still get more out of that gunk / coffeee grain looking dirt out of it... because the problem is... just running water threw it will NOT get everything out! you need compressed air so you can fill the core up with water then you blow the water out with compressed air BUT you do not blow it all out full pressure!!
think.... imagine a box with an inlet and an outlet at the very top! and you are filling it up with water on the inlet side. you fill it till there is a steady stream of CLEAR water is coming out of the outlet side!.. then you want to slowly blow air in the side you were putting water in and increasingly more air little by little and it will creat pressure inside the core and start breaking up all the gunk at the bottom that is probably all smushed togeth down there then you reverse it after it empties add water were before it was coming out of and were you were adding it before it will com out of that side!! it doesnt matter if you run it just reverse or the normal way you need to flush it both ways multiple time like do it till you tired of flushing it then do it till your annoyed with standing there and flushing it then keep doing it till you back hurts then just do it a little longer.... seriously though.

AND your gauge is not reading because you ECT sensor start with that and an o-ring and buy the horse shoe clip that holds it in place cause i bet either you will break it or drop it and lose it so buy it for saftey! THEN what happens is you go drive your car AND you see how it runs and what temp. you want the gauge reading right in the middle if it is not then your therm-stat is stuck open.. THEN you go replace the therm-stat.....then you can see if your heat properly works.. IF not your heater core can not be saved or is leaking and you need a new heater core which = new heater core which = pulling your dash to replace =]=]=]...

but really that would suck

Last edited by SICKB5; 12-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

i just let me car run for 20 min, and pulled off the inlet hose going into the core, and there isnt much coolant going into it. so i was thinking the heater control valve? is there a way to manually open that? and where is it at??

Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

the water pump is what controls the amount of coolant pumped threw out the engine.. now if there is a restriction between that and the core you'd have to find that on you own.

and this valve you keep talking about.., i have never heard of it.. sounds as believable as blinker fluid.. you told you about "this valve"

Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

i have read it several places. when you turn the heat on full blast supposedly there is a valve that opens up, and sends coolant through the core.?? no one else has heard of this??

Old 12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

i work at a vw dealship and work on 01-05 passats (which is the b5 chasis exact same **** just a vw) and i work on heater core issues all the time thats what they are known for.. and i have never head of that "valve".

Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

oh ok. im not claiming to know for sure, i have only had this car about a month and a half. and the heat isnt working, and im trying to figure out why. i dont have good flow of coolant to the core...so wtf..?? haha if the water pump was going bad wouldnt that make the motor run hot? i just replaced the coolant temp sensor this afternoon. and my heat reads right in the middle after warming up. i have flushed the core like i said, and the whole system, i let water run through the whole system. didnt do it for real long though maybe 30 sec. or so.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sshhbequiet
oh ok. im not claiming to know for sure, i have only had this car about a month and a half. and the heat isnt working, and im trying to figure out why. i dont have good flow of coolant to the core...so wtf..?? haha if the water pump was going bad wouldnt that make the motor run hot? i just replaced the coolant temp sensor this afternoon. and my heat reads right in the middle after warming up. i have flushed the core like i said, and the whole system, i let water run through the whole system. didnt do it for real long though maybe 30 sec. or so.
The water pumps on these motors are weird.. They are external
so when they start going bad they do odd things... Umm they can be bad to were the heat sucks.. But they also can not be that bad to were it will still keep your engine cool... I would have to get my own hands on it to diag. It properly... So it blows cold... Like completely cold.. No heat at all? And is the inlet hose feel hot??

Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

its cool/luke warm air. not cold. the inlet and outlet hoses are both hot. but when i disconnect either of them, only a small amount of coolant is flowing through them.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sshhbequiet
its cool/luke warm air. not cold. the inlet and outlet hoses are both hot. but when i disconnect either of them, only a small amount of coolant is flowing through them.
Is it like a little stream? like hardly anything?? cause i mean.. its not exactly like gushing fluid threw the core....

Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

a little stream.....im gonna bleed the while system later using the bleeder screws too

Quick Reply: no heat...bleed core?