B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No Fault code for Abs MOdule but definitley not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default No Fault code for Abs MOdule but definitley not working

97 a4 quattro

connected vag to computer today no faults for the ABS module.. may i assume it is working?
However, i have some serious sponge action going on with the brakes... and if I slam on the brakes for the life of me I cannot hear that abs motor run. Certainly doesnt feel like the ABS is working. What are the odds that the motor is bad and the module fine? I have searched forums and have not found anything specific to the abs motor only the module which seems to testing out fine.

No abs light. No fault codes. No Abs. No BS.

Any thoughts. Speed sensors? How do might i test out the motor? Can I pull it without repercussion? and bench test it for continuity or other?

KV

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear

Spongy brakes are now fault of any part of the abs system, that is fault of the regular braking system. You have a problem with either a leak in the system (which would still allow the brakes to function, but would give you that brake feel since the brake system is divided into 2 sections front and back), or maybe terribly low pads all the way around. If you are able to slam your brakes on and your car skids (causing a screech on dry pavement), or you are no longer able to steer or fishtail in the snow, then you have a problem with your ABS.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 AM
1st Gear
Default abs not working?

i will bleed the lines to see if it helps... all pads and rotors are new.
the point about slamming on the brakes was to indicate that
the abs doesnt initiate the pump when I do this as it ordinarily would.. traditionally I would hear the pump on the abs activate. I cannot get this to happen now.
I say spongy to mean that it feels that there is no longer any assist
in the braking system as it had in the past.
I will check for leaks and bleed lines. I guess my question is: If the vagcom doesnt
read any fault with the abs then what is my next course of action. Could it be the ABS pump?
or is the vag not all that accurate when it comes to the ABS module.

This car used to stop on a dime now its not so good.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:39 AM
3rd Gear

Start by replacing your brake fluid and bleeding all the air out of it. If it's a manual shift car, bleed the clutch slave as well. If the brakes still feel crappy, do it again. If after that the ABS still doesn't work, begin diagnostics.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Agreed. Everything I've ever seen and read about the ABS controller is that when it's bad, the car will tell you, both via the beeps and ABS/brake warning lights, and the fact that it can even throw a code that'll turn on the CEL (I think it's P1606).

Old 11-26-2010, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

cool thanks all... will need to bleed this weekend... clutch and brakes and will update...
they just dont feel right...