B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

NO BOOST HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Default NO BOOST HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,
I purchased my 1997 Audi A4 1.8t with 98,000 miles on it around 3 months ago. The car is bone stock and has had all of its regular maintance. I was not very familiar with these cars, so I did not realize that when I drove the car it was producing little or no boost. It was not until recently that I installed a boost gauge and noticed that I was not holding any boost, and if I did it would peak at about 2 psi. I can hear the turbo spooling up, and the waste gate dumping, but I saw on another forum that this is not how it should traditionally sound. I thought maybe the car was in "limp" mode, but I took the car to the dealership to hook it up to the vag-com and it didn't throw any codes, not even a soft key. So, they did some physical diagnostic testing, aka looking, and they found that the wastegate actuator needed to be replaced. So, after about an hour and a half and 300 dollars later, the car is not holding boost, still. The technicians told me that they have checked just about everything, and only have a few more things like the wiring harness from the ecm to the turbo assembly. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem with their car, if so how did they fix it, or possible things that could be causing the problem.

One more question, if you think that it could be the wastegate is there anyway to replace just the wastegate or, since it is internal, would you have to replace the turbo.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Default RE: NO BOOST HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

first off, you don't replace the wastgate. your problem is most likely the actuator that connects to the wastgate. If the stealership checked your car it should be fine, right? Check the vacume lines that follow the N75 and make sure that they are in good shape. Check all intercooler plumbing for leaks, maybe even pressurize it to check.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM

If you're car savvy you could try doing the DIY boost leak check:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_322367/tm.htm

Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 971.8t

Hi everyone,
I purchased my 1997 Audi A4 1.8t with 98,000 miles on it around 3 months ago. The car is bone stock and has had all of its regular maintance. I was not very familiar with these cars, so I did not realize that when I drove the car it was producing little or no boost. It was not until recently that I installed a boost gauge and noticed that I was not holding any boost, and if I did it would peak at about 2 psi. I can hear the turbo spooling up, and the waste gate dumping, but I saw on another forum that this is not how it should traditionally sound. I thought maybe the car was in "limp" mode, but I took the car to the dealership to hook it up to the vag-com and it didn't throw any codes, not even a soft key. So, they did some physical diagnostic testing, aka looking, and they found that the wastegate actuator needed to be replaced. So, after about an hour and a half and 300 dollars later, the car is not holding boost, still. The technicians told me that they have checked just about everything, and only have a few more things like the wiring harness from the ecm to the turbo assembly. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem with their car, if so how did they fix it, or possible things that could be causing the problem.

One more question, if you think that it could be the wastegate is there anyway to replace just the wastegate or, since it is internal, would you have to replace the turbo.

I just dealt with the same problem- 0PSI. My car too, didn't throw codes or have boost leaks. All that it took to fix it was to change the wastegate actuator, not the wastegate itself. Now I just need to find why I am not making enough boost..[>:]

Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

The wastegate actuator was replaced and it is till not holding boost, they found that the wastegate was stuck open......maybe the DV?