B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No boost Gt2860rs Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 PM
1st Gear
Default No boost Gt2860rs Please help me

So I was about to go on a run today with a good group of people and my turbo wont make boost

It was driving perfect before, Cruzin on the freeway at 80 with lots of passing power.. Stopped let it idle for a couple mins as I was talking to a couple guys then shut her down.

Car sat for maybe 30 mins tops, went to start it back up to go on the drive and there was no boost...

I am completely stumped, boost gauge would go into vacuum 20/25 and wouldn't go above 0psi...

oil temps were a lil high at like 225 but within reason...

plently of oil still golden too! full synthetic mobil 1 0 40w

turbo has a brand new CHRA less than 200 miles on it

It was making a weird noise almost the exact same sound as a s4 with ko4s spooling down lol... pssswooo lol

Please help lets throw some Ideas around I am seriously bummed

Its a Gt2860rs

I did a boost test and I didn't hear any leaks. I was looking at my boost gauge and it was only moving like a cm. Its gotta be the turbo. Its making these weird noises..

So I took a video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7pj_h4w1o

this is what it sounds like.. Kind of hard to tell but it sounds like metal on metal...

maybe this second video will help. You can def hear it still spinning after I killed the motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7klKtcAs4

Again vac is at 20 and it wont go over 0psi on my boost gauge.

another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Y89TjGYeQ

Last edited by shhmaudi; 08-12-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
4th Gear

If you are getting the dentist sound then the turbo is dead. You might want to pull off the turbo inlet hose to see if there is damage to the compressor wheel or any shaft play.

That sound of the turbo when you turn off the motor is just wrong, it is uneven and a grinding sound which means there has to be damage to the wheel and the bearings are done.

If the CHRA only has 200 miles on it then you have a major issue with your oil flow to the turbo.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-12-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Slut

Time to pull that sucker out and see whats up with it. Who rebuilt it and why? Did you make sure it got oiled properly when re-installed? And was that duct tape on the oil feed line????

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
4th Gear

If his oil feed line or oil drain line is plugged it would allow the CHRA to get damaged in that time span.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
If his oil feed line or oil drain line is plugged it would allow the CHRA to get damaged in that time span.
the elims use your stock oil feed line right? They get pretty constrictive due to sludge and buildup inside of them over time as I've heard.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
4th Gear

Yes they do. Thats why its always good to check the condition of the oil feed line when changing out the turbo.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 AM
2nd Gear

I was cringing listening to that turbo...definitely sounds like the turbo is bad. That sucks dude.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

I just upgraded the oil return line. I took it to a hydro shop and they rebuilt it stronger and better than ever!

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Time to pull that sucker out and see whats up with it. Who rebuilt it and why? Did you make sure it got oiled properly when re-installed? And was that duct tape on the oil feed line????
cant rebuild a BB turbo. But turbos direct in Arizona sold me a slightly used CHRA, (used on the dyno for a few pulls) But it was in great shape! Couldnt even tell it was used.. My last one died due to oil starvation. I got a free oil change and they used cheap dino oil and filter. Which coked and killed the turbo. Also my oil return line had a leak.

Not duck tape... Heat shielding, from the stock oil feed line.

If you are getting the dentist sound then the turbo is dead. You might want to pull off the turbo inlet hose to see if there is damage to the compressor wheel or any shaft play.

That sound of the turbo when you turn off the motor is just wrong, it is uneven and a grinding sound which means there has to be damage to the wheel and the bearings are done.

If the CHRA only has 200 miles on it then you have a major issue with your oil flow to the turbo.
**** it kinda sounds like a dentist drill noise.. There is no shaft play I pushed it up and down and tried to pull it out and its snug. However, I cant help but think the CHRA is damaged because its making these noises.. I pulled the TP and wastegate is closed.. What are the symptoms of a stuck closed wastegate? Its internal ATP style.

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
the elims use your stock oil feed line right? They get pretty constrictive due to sludge and buildup inside of them over time as I've heard.
Yes you are suppose to be able to. I even called ATP and they said its fine. I am running the proper brass restrictor too. My car has 96k on it I think its time to get a SS braid oil feed line..

I am looking at this line:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...Q5fAccessories

Originally Posted by joenelson7687
I was cringing listening to that turbo...definitely sounds like the turbo is bad. That sucks dude.
F bomb I pray and hope its covered under warranty...

Last edited by shhmaudi; 08-13-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help guys!

Mike can you PM the price for a Oil feed line for a 98 audi a4 quattro from 034.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Update: I did a wastegate pressure test and the wastegate opens and closes.. there is no shaftplay.. what is causing my turbo to make these weird noises with no boost? I am going to replace the oil feed line. Is there a diy/writeup for this? I know you have to remove the intake manifold.

Last edited by shhmaudi; 08-13-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: No boost Gt2860rs Please help me