B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Newfangled hair dryer thingies

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Newfangled hair dryer thingies

SO I'm new to the turbo car thing, came from V8 BMW to a A4 1.8T Manual. First off, the Audi is a better built car. the fit and finish is better, the ride is better and parts are soooo much cheaper.
I just put in a boost gage and noticed max boost is about 8 psi. From what I read it should be 9-10. At about 5k RPM it slowly bleeds down to around 6 psi. I take this as a weak DV. Am I wrong? Because I just ordered a 710 from ECS. So is this gonna help?
ALso I have more money than sense, so if I need a FMIC, a K04 and a chip and exhaust. Thats not really an issue. But what order to do them is. I come from the "there is no replacement for displacement" school.
Help please.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM

What year is your A4? AEB engine codes (1996-1999) typically boost 7-8psi, and I think 2000 models (ATW engine code) are about the same, but 2001 models boost higher ~10-11psi I think.

The boost tapering like that seems normal to me, if you had a bad DV I don't think you would hit the 8psi you are currently. But replacing the DV doesn't hurt especially if your current one is original to the car.

If you "have more money than sense" then you may desire to upgrade to something with higher gains than a K04.

As for your list, this is what I would do:
-FMIC (unless you go with a bigger turbo, in which case you will get extra lag with the K03)
-turbo/exhaust (easy to do at once since you have to disconnect the exhaust to replace the turbo)
-tune

Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by planedr65
ALso I have more money than sense
Help please.
feel free to paypal gift me then - samataras@gmail.com ty

The stock ECU/turbo only boosts to like 8 psi if i am not mistaken. If you are looking to go really fast at and get more power at lower RPMs, id sell the 1.8t and get the s4. Otherwise the best part of the powerband is going to be around 5200 RPMs or so.

If you are looking to build the **** out of that 1.8t then by all means. But eh FMIC would not be your first step. Get a tune that supports whatever turbo you run, replace the DV, exhaust, suspension blah blah blah.

read the FAQ up top - not saying you are a noob or anything, but it answering 90% of those first timer questions.

also - congrats on the car!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Sorry I thought I put the year down, It's a 2000 US spec, 170,000 mi. TB was replaced 15K ago. I would love to get an S4 or an RS4 (you suck for not making US spec RS4,Audi) but if I'm going to get that type of car it has to be a US spec (hard to find here) so I can take it back with me. I'm a contractor on a year long stint. It could end any time and I would be stuck with a euro car I cant take home with me.
I looked for the boost issue and I interpreted it to be a weak DV. And shipping is a killer to Germany even though I have an APO address.