B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Newbs guide to 300hp??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Default Newbs guide to 300hp??

Hey guys, new here.... I'm a camaro owner and used to the process of modding vehicles a little differently (i.e. no boost.....YET). Any how, after reading the newb guide thoroughly, and im very intrested in investin in a 2001 5spd a4 1.8t, which i believe is a B5. I dont have to end up with exactly 300 hp but i would like to land somewhere close. After doing the obvious maintenance, including things like timing belt change, plugs, full fluid change, and quality clutch, i would want to start modding the vehicle. I believe i read in the newb guide of people who daily drive 300hp a4's and i am wondering what it takes to get there. I guess what im asking is what it takes, what parts, cost, reliabiltiy, etc. I need to know what the first mods should be and where to get them. I would also like to know if it is possible to get there with bolt ons (things like fmic, intake, full exhaust, dv (what ever that is), good clutch, boost controller, giac chip (also would need to know how to get ahold of them), good dynotune). Also what power can be achieved with mod. If i cant land somewhere in my goal range, where would i be ? My big concern is reliability and cost.

I know i am asking alot of info but anything you can provide me with would be great. All info you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.....

Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Newbs guide to 300hp??

I don't mean to nag, but isn't all of that info in the newbie guide?

Welcome to AudiForums, in any case - and best of luck to you!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM

I understand that, and i do agree there is alot of great info in there... my request is for more specific info. Which mods are required to get there and how reliable would the vehicle actually be. Where can i get these parts at and how much would my goal cost me approximately. Could i daily drive it with now worries?

I guess what would help me more is if you guys could list your mods and power range, along with how often you drive the vehicle. Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Well, from what I understand you're going to have to upgrade the turbo itself at least moderately, if not to a full Big Turbo (BT) setup. A GT28RS may get you there with appropriate supporting mods. One good thing to check out is the post where everyone was listing their car and its mods (I don't know for sure, but some people probably have listed their measured output as well). For parts, you can rely on www.purems.com, www.ecstuning.com, and other forum sponsors (in addition to supporting the companies that support the forum, they're also well-known and have good prices and excellent reputations). Also, check out www.034motorsports.com - they have some wild projects that they've done (including big-turbo VR6 transplants that can net you well over 600hp at the wheels), so they definitely know a thing or two about building the B5 cars. They may have the info on the site, but if not, you could probably call any of those companies and get input on what it takes to reach that goal.

In the most basic sense though,you're going to need a larger turbo, a front-mount (or high-quality upgraded sidemount) intercooler, injectors, ECU reflash (get the one appropriate for your turbo - check with APR about their specific tunes, and you can use that as a starting point for selecting the turbo, since it's much easier than spec'cing your own turbo and then having to have a full custom tune done, even though that may well end up netting more power), probably a manual boost controller, intake, upgraded diverter valve (DV), test pipe, downpipe, exhaust system (3" all the way through is best), and you're going to want to get a stronger clutch assembly as well - I highly doubt the OEM clutch, made for the 150-170hp output of the stock motor, will handle 300hp). With that much extra go, invest in an A8 brake upgrade kit and better pads as well, to rein in the car when you need to.

There are other miscellaneous areas to address as well, and replace/upgrade parts as needed. I'd get a new aftermarket snub mount for sure, to control fore-aft rock of the engine, inspect the motor mounts and tranny mounts, and replace as needed, and you're going to want a quality boost gauge to monitor the goings-on in your car. If I were you, I'd get an oil pressure gauge as well, since our cars have an oil temp gauge, but only a low-pressure warning light. There are a variety of mounts for these cars, including dash vent pods, column pods, and A-pillar pods, so you can choose what you'd want.

And last, I have to say this for us 2.8 guys "just because", you could just sell the 1.8T and get a 2.8 30v with a PES supercharger and you'll have your 300hp

Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/m_816714/tm.htm
This one will help you a lot, tells you pretty much exactly what turbo and supporting mods you need for the horsepower goals. Also another big thing is whether you want 300 at the crank or at the wheels. If you want 300 at the wheels, GT28RS will get you there. As far as reliability, APR Stage 3 or 3+ would probably be your best bet, as i have heard its the most complete and reliable set up. If you're looking for 300 at the crank, an eliminator set up will get you there pretty easily. At any rate, with a BT upgrade you're gonna need at least FMIC, clutch, DV, exhaust, tuning, etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Guru

for turbo upgrades(a full blown kit) that should net you 300whp apr has a stage 3 kit with everything you need, but a price tag of 4999.99 iirc
http://goapr.com/Audi/products/stage3_long.html

or you could go with atpturbo and get a kit for less...
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=VVWTK
also with the atp one, doesn't look like you get the injectores, manifold or hfc

but you could upgrade those on your own, do tp instead of hfc....

Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
5th Gear

i made another guide too just for this question- https://www.audiforums.com/m_816714/tm.htm

300chp- a gtrs will get you there. 300whp a 71r elim will do it. Both of those are elims, so they will be the cheapest way to get those numbers. or you could opt for the full turbo for a little more money.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM

a gt35r will do the trick