B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Newbie Here: Possible Trade for an A4 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

VIN: WAUCB28D5Xxxxxxxxxx
Vehicle: 1999 AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO AWD
Records: 31 records found in the CARFAX Vehicle History database

Maybe I should rethink my options here? Gonna CarFax it and see what's going on!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Capo Cam
Forgive my ignorance but is this bad? Possibly the airbag has been deployed and they replaced it with a non-sport one?
More likely the tail lights were simply replaced. The 15" wheels and generous ride height indicate a lack of sport option, so the sport wheel would have been an individual option. Being that it's a tip, it's unlikely.

CarFax should be done before you even look at a car. If the rear tails have been replaced, it could have been a matter of preference by the previous owner or it might have been hit in the rear, requiring 2 new tailights. CarFax can at least ease your mind of extensive bodywork. Look for indications of repaint around the rear doors, trunk, quarters, and bumper.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear

pm'd ill run the carfax for ya

Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by somebody5788
pm'd ill run the carfax for ya
Thanks, I just ran it my self and here's what I found. If you don't mind can you run it also and see if anything looks fishy to you? I will PM you the VIN. Thanks, Cameron

Everything looks okay on the CarFax report. No accidents all the records were from service done on the vehicle at dealership and transfers in the title. 31 records scared me at first but everything seems to check out okay.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

I am kinda worried about the steering wheel that "Tweaked" mentioned above.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Capo Cam
I am kinda worried about the steering wheel that "Tweaked" mentioned above.
Why? I'm saying it's probably stock.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Okay, sorry I thought you were saying it wasn't the normal one.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

"Tweak" are you saying that the steering wheel is the sport version that someone probably chose as an option when they bought the car? Are the rims are basic Audi standard rims and not the upgraded option? Please forgive my ignorance once again.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 AM
3rd Gear

The rims look like the stock 15." Sport package came with 16" or 17" wheels, a slightly lower ride height, and stiffer springs.

The four-spoke steering wheel is a base steering wheel. The 3-spoke is the "sport" wheel and often has a red (or just silver if it's worn) "S-Line" emblem. The three spoke sport steering wheel was available without the full sport package in later years.

From the pictures you posted, it just a base 1.8T. Nothing wrong with that.

The question came up about upgraded taillights, making things confusing. The year of that car indicates it has the old style taillights. The current ones are the "facelift" tails. They are a direct swap for the ugly, old style taillights. Again, nothing wrong with that. It's just often confusing or odd to see "mods" to an otherwise base car. Although, it does have mudflaps, which are pretty cool looking...

If the CF is clean, have it inspected by your favorite Audi tech and buy it. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the clarification on everything. Are you making fun of my mudflaps? lol j/k. I'm meeting the guy in the morning at 9:45 and we are taking the vehicles to the DMV and then I'm gonna take her for a tour of the town. When I get back I will take more pics and post them. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Newbie Here: Possible Trade for an A4 1.8T Quattro