B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Newbie Here: Possible Trade for an A4 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Cool Newbie Here: Possible Trade for an A4 1.8T Quattro

Okay, first off you can tell me to STFU newb. But here's what I got going on. I have an '03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 2x4 with 64k miles on it that I am probably going to trade for a '99 A4 1.8T Quattro with 98k miles on it. Blue book prices are about the same with the Audi just a bit lower. The timing belt and water pump were recently changed around 80k and it seems to be in pretty good shape. I have always loved Euro cars but sometimes hear the "urban legends" about computers, expenses, etc etc. Last year I purchased a '99 Volvo S80 for my fiance'. It's somewhat of an electrical nightmare and don't want the Audi to be like that. I know, I know, you can't calssify them all in the same group; Audi's are German, Volvo's are Swedish, etc. I just want some opinions on what I may be getting myself into. If it's worth it. ETC.. Any and all suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

See if you can move an SUV in this market/economy... no one wants to buy 'em with gas prices what they were this summer.

Read the thread about what goes wrong on these cars. That and keep 1k in your savings at all times, JIC.

Still, I think an Exploder is more unreliable. My wife had one... simply awful. She used to say that the steering wheel only gave her the illusion of control.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear

i beg to differ ^^ i JUST paid $1.89 for gas today!!!! (regular unleaded btw) $1.89 , crazy, i never though its get below $3.00 again after it was like $4.20 this summer, let alond below $2.00!!!

(it wasnt for my car, or it would have been premium) but that was still only like $2.19 or something

Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear

I agree with Epic. Ditch the Exploder.

Yes, Audis need a bit more attention than the average car, but they certainly are not electrical nightmares like Volvos, which are made by... Ford!

I never understood the appeal of the Explorer. Boxy, terrible handling, gas guzzlers. I would trade one up for an A4 in a heartbeat! Do it!

If you are worried about repair costs, you could always buy a certified used B6 or B7 from an Audi dealer and take advantage of the warranty.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

Ditch the Exploder! Also have the Audi checked out thoroughly by a good local Euro shop or at the Dealer. Just tell them you want a check over for purchase. How much is the guy asking for the Audi? Or are you trading him for it if so wtf is that guy thinking? Its likely to need something done right away like tie rods, control arms, cv joints, or a wheel bearing. None of those would be a deal killer the fact that the timing belt was done is a great buying point. I would get the receipt or w/e to see what they replaced while doing the timing belt make sure they did the tensioner while they were at it. Even check to see if they did the drive belt although that one isnt to big a deal. The check over will let you know a lot but I say going from the expolder to the 1.8t is a decent idea. At least your not going from trouble free to not so trouble free haha. As far as electrical problems I don't know that I have heard of too many electrical horror story's and I've never heard of one needing a computer yet (although anythings possible it is electrical) mainly they need MAF sensors and coil packs some other things too but those are the big ones.

Last edited by somebody5788; 11-12-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Hey flynnr you have pm

Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Yeah i had an exploder before i bought my B5 and guess what....it exploded. lol. Get rid of it before its too late! B5 FTW!!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM

do the damn thing!!!

is it stick and what color ??

Old 11-12-2008, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the info guys! We are set-up for the deal this Saturday so you'll be seeing alot more of me around here (not sure if that's good or bad). I can't wait to add the A4 to my stable It's a straight up trade. So I'll now have the A4, the S80 and my 01 Mustang GT in the stable. And my father worked and retired from GM after 30 years, go figure..lol

Old 11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
3rd Gear

Grats! Just remember its not a problem free car but if you take care of it maintenance costs are significantly less then just driving till it takes a complete ****. Make sure you clean it up and take some good pix for us when you get it.

Quick Reply: Newbie Here: Possible Trade for an A4 1.8T Quattro