B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New User, Lost all my oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default New User, Lost all my oil

Hey I hope someone can help me out. I have a 1999 audi a4 1.8 T. Recently changed the oil and have driven 600 miles or so. Getting a bit cold in upstate NY and I'm assuming I didn't let my car heat up enough. Got the oil light not far from my home so I threw in a quart or more and pulled back in my driveway. Had a puddle and trail of oil in my driveway. I pulled off the filter and the seal seems good and in tact. There was definitely a kind of spewing/spurting oil noise when the engine was running. Not sure what to look for now. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Did you check the oil level before adding that 'quart or more' ?

If you did check the oil, was it after the engine had been off for about 5 min or so?

Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by matthew.slade.rap
Hey I hope someone can help me out. I have a 1999 audi a4 1.8 T. Recently changed the oil and have driven 600 miles or so. Getting a bit cold in upstate NY and I'm assuming I didn't let my car heat up enough. Got the oil light not far from my home so I threw in a quart or more and pulled back in my driveway. Had a puddle and trail of oil in my driveway. I pulled off the filter and the seal seems good and in tact. There was definitely a kind of spewing/spurting oil noise when the engine was running. Not sure what to look for now. Thanks in advance.
Was there lots of oil below the oil filter? My initial guess is that you didn't get the filter on tight.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear

There really is no point in listing a bunch of gueeses from people who have never even seen the car. You have to go find the leak. If that means you wipe off the motor the best you can and put more oil in it, do that, then lay under the car while someone else starts it.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by mtroxel
There really is no point in listing a bunch of gueeses from people who have never even seen the car. You have to go find the leak. If that means you wipe off the motor the best you can and put more oil in it, do that, then lay under the car while someone else starts it.
bingo. I could name a hundred places oil could be leaking from. just get under there and watch with your eyes for the leak

Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
bingo. I could name a hundred places oil could be leaking from. just get under there and watch with your eyes for the leak
Uh, I think the OP was asking for guesses. Isn't that what we all do here? Guess at the cause of problems? Since none of us ever see the car in question it's all we can do.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Uh, I think the OP was asking for guesses. Isn't that what we all do here? Guess at the cause of problems? Since none of us ever see the car in question it's all we can do.
His original post lacks information. I am not going to suggest sources of oil leaks with the only information being there is an oil leak. People need to learn you can't come on a forum and ask what's wrong with my car and give no information. try this-

Hey guys, my car is making a weird noise in the engine bay. What could it be?

The list of potential answers, much like the list of potential answers to OP's original question, could go on for pages. We simply need more information/

Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

I'm with Redline. If you provide some information, there are people who do far more than guess.

"My car won't start, what could it be?" Pointless. There are 30 possibilities. That thread will be full of posts saying things like, "Dude, happened to me. It's totally your cam position sensor."

"My car won't start, it doesn't even turn over and when I turn the key I hear a clicking noise." Now we know it's about the starter mechanism, and people can ask some more questions.

Trouble shooting is not just guessing.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I'm with Redline. If you provide some information, there are people who do far more than guess.

"My car won't start, what could it be?" Pointless. There are 30 possibilities. That thread will be full of posts saying things like, "Dude, happened to me. It's totally your cam position sensor."

"My car won't start, it doesn't even turn over and when I turn the key I hear a clicking noise." Now we know it's about the starter mechanism, and people can ask some more questions.

Trouble shooting is not just guessing.
Educated guessing. OP says "not sure where to look" so I say the most obvious place, right after and oil change, is the filter being improperly installed. I should have asked if he replaced the drain plug as well. Of course diagnosis is guessing especially from afar. Until the solution is proven that is. And people need to learn to not be intimidated by old timers and feel free to stub the question toe once in awhile. Ease back man or like Bart says "don't have a cow"

Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Sorry for the lack of info!

My mistake on the lack of info in my original post. Was in a bit of a rush. First off I will say that I found the problem and I'm good to go, it was a worn gasket/seal on the oil cooler. After a lot of fiddling in such a small space, and breaking and replacing a vacuum T joint it's all back in order. I meant also to specifically ask, since I thought this was part of my own doing for not letting my car heat up enough, if there was anything that usually goes first in that case. It wasn't showing anything on the dipstick, that was shortly after pulling over and turning off the engine, probably three minutes. I'm assuming I probably shouldn't have drove it but it was really less than a tenth of a mile away. There seemed to be oil on the filter but not necessarily from the filter. Yes the filter was properly installed by me (small win) and yes I even returned the drain plug to its original location! So again really my apologies for the lack of info I'll try to be more thorough with my next post. And thanks for replying anywho

Quick Reply: New User, Lost all my oil