B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New shoes today and altitude adjustment very soon:)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Default New shoes today and altitude adjustment very soon:)

Today was a good day - took a road trip to Baltimore with my buddy Erich to meet up with two AFers - Reggie (reg44reg) and Aaron (klum00). I bought a beautiful set of Flik Wasp wheels (18" with Falken Ziex 225-40ZR18 tires) from Reggie, and Aaron hooked me up with his OEM S4 springs for the all-important altitude adjustment on my car (that'll be happening shortly).

Long story short, it was kind of a banzai trip today - 505 miles round trip and we didn't have long to really hang around and chat (mainly due to things I have going on back at home). Reggie and Aaron - great to meet you guys, and thank you for the hookup on the parts. Hope you can make Etown this fall, and hopefully next time more time can be spent BSing, maybe over a beer, than we were able to today.

And for anyone wondering in the future as a buyer reference, the wheels that Reggie sold me were EXACTLY as advertised - he was up front about the three very minor imperfections in them, long before I got in the car to drive down there, and the wheels and tires were 100% as represented. I'd happily buy from him again. I'd have no problem buying parts from Aaron either lol, but considering he gave me the springs, it's a little different situation Overall, a very good day, fun to meet a couple AFers, great new parts for the car.

One minor casualty though during the trip - I hit a pothole roughly large enough to land a helicopter in and the impact was hard enough that it knocked the passenger side Depo clear corner light right off my car and sent it sailing into the Pennsylvania dandelions (and as I've read, I'm not the first to suffer this), so I have to go back to OEM corners with my Depo projectors while I find a replacement assembly. Amazingly, my wheel had zero effect from the hit. But even adding in the replacement cost of the lost light, it was still a very worthwhile trip and worth every cent spent (or lost).

Anyhow, I'll shut up now - on to the pics. Here's the setup before today (riding on 17"x7" AT Italia S5 wheels, with 235-45-17 Michelin Pilot Alpin tires):

And here's what the car is wearing now (18"x7.5" Flik Wasps in gunmetal, with 225-40ZR18 Falken Ziex ZE512 tires):

They frame up the A8 brakes really nicely:

Now I just have to get the suspension set up for the proper ride height, get the windows tinted, add a lip spoiler, replace the missing corner lamp, and paint the lowers, and I'll be pretty much happy with the exterior of the car. I can already tell that keeping these wheels as clean as they should be (my definition of clean anyhow) is gonna keep me occupied for a LONG stretch on detailing days - time to stock up on Q-tips and soft-bristle toothbrushes.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New shoes today and altitude adjustment very soon:)

Love the wheels.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Me too - and I also love the fact that after adjusting the rotor mounting position slightly and cleaning the hub mating surface with a wire drill brush, my pads are now sweeping the full face of the rotors - see how the inner rust ring is now gone? Stoked about that too

Old 05-17-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

Me too - and I also love the fact that after adjusting the rotor mounting position slightly and cleaning the hub mating surface with a wire drill brush, my pads are now sweeping the full face of the rotors - see how the inner rust ring is now gone? Stoked about that too
What do you mean by "adjust the rotor mounting position"?One of my new rearones isdoing the same thing.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
5th Gear

Very, very nice wheels. I wasn't a huge fan of them at first, but I'm starting to like them more and more. Can't wait to see how they look with the S4 springs on there.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 PM

I take it you don't need my S4 spings anymore Jeremy? haha

Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 PM
5th Gear

jeremy figured out that his front rotors had that rust spot because the part of the rotor that touches to hub was not even. i'm having the same problem he is. just take off the rotor, sand down the hub and the inside of the rotor and put it back on. at least that's what he told me. i'm gonna be doing that when the daym weather around here gets better because mine is royally messed up.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:25 PM
5th Gear

S_R_N83: if his looks good i'll buy yours so don't sweat it and just hope it looks good

Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: hiwords

S_R_N83: if his looks good i'll buy yours so don't sweat it and just hope it looks good
Yeah I'm not, I'm more interested in seeing how it looks too. So many people want to put S4 springs on the 2.8 but don't do it. If they turn out good and you want them, they're yours, just let me know.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear

Very very nice..

Was aaron wearing his studly shoes?

Quick Reply: New shoes today and altitude adjustment very soon:)