B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New Scab

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 AM
1st Gear
Default New Scab

Alrighty
I am new to the Audi scene, and I am trying to drum up some info. I hope you guys can help. I did a bit of looking to try and make sure I am not asking for info that is readily available. So feel free to flame away at the newbie.

So, I bought my 1st Audi today. It is a 99 A4, and it is my understanding it has a 2.8l 30v motor. This one has motor issues and doesnt run at the moment (a long sad story, from the previous owner). So here are my questions.

1. Are all the B5 2.8l 30v motors the same. Ie if I find a motor from another year, will I have compatibility problems with it? I would hate to be dropping a motor in and find out I have the wrong one. The guy I bought the car from says that some of the VW stuff is compatible??

2. How can I physically tell a 12v from a 30v. If I find one locally, I do want to make sure I have the right one.

3. Any free FSM available online for these?

4. If I find another motor, are there things that are known to fail, stuff that I should replace before installing, ie timing belt, wp, sensors??

4a. I noticed some torx bolts...any other specialty tools I should get for doing a motor swap? I have done a few Nissan and Honda swaps, so I have some tools, but neither of those rices use torx.

5. WTH is a winter edition? It must be a trim package? easy swap? I really want heated seats.

That is all the questions I have for now...but I am sure there will be more.

Thanks in advance
-Jason

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM
2nd Gear

1. Enignes are not all the same. You can find the engine code either stamped on the block or on a sticker stuck to the valve cover ...the enigne code is three letters usually starting with A. Search and you'll find some pictures of what the stamp looks like. Check out the sticky at the top of the B5 forums page for the engine codes.
2. The engine code.
3. There are a number of tech write ups on the bigger fourms...Audiworld has the most, followed closely by this one and Audizine. The Ross-Tech wiki site has alot of information too. The Bentley electronic repair manual isn't too expensive and is well worth the money.
4. The 2.8 engine is pretty much bullet proof. You just have the normal concerns during a swap. However, definitely do the timing belt and waterpump. They are a PITA to change out once the car is put back together. I would also suggest dropping the oil pan and inspecting the oil pump...you don't hear about sludge problems on the 2.8 that much but it's easy to inspect with the engine out.
4a. Torx screws are common and so are triple squares (12 point star). There are specialty tools out the ying yang for these cars. Common ones are the timing belt alignmnet tool for the 2.8 (comes with most timing belt kits), large 12-point for the transmission drain, 17mm hex key for the axle bolt, 8mm and 10mm triple squares for misc. areas, and a beefy pair of snap ring pliers (the cheap ones available at auto parts stores don't cut the mustard)
5. Winter package gets you headlight washers and heated seats.

Last edited by dafrazi; 06-18-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, you are the MAN. I dont see rep points on this site, but I would award some if there was.

I will check out the info, that gives me a ton to chew on and gets me pointed in the right direction.

Any merit to the VW compatibility, the old owner was talking about?

-Jason

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
3rd Gear

the 12v engine came in the 1996-97 models (AFC code), staring with in 1998 to 2001 they all had 30v (AHA or ATQ code). any engine with the same code and transmission (eg manual to manual or auto to auto) will be a drop in replacement.

also- click this
http://www.mediafire.com/?xzhbw04j9bh

Old 06-19-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

so you are saying that a manual motor is different from an auto? Other than just the clutch/flywheel vs. flex plate/torque converter, obviously? This would be crucial info, as I am spying an 98 engine out of an auto, and the car I own bought is a manual.

Thanks again
-Jason

Old 06-19-2009, 11:05 PM
3rd Gear

the flange on the end of the crankshaft that would connect to the flywheel on a manual trans is different on a car with an auto trans. you either need to make an adapter (i think you need to drill additional holes in the end of it, but not 100%) or swap in a manual crankshaft. i happen to have a stock manual AEB crank that im not using if you need one.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dafrazi
5. Winter package gets you headlight washers and heated seats.
I heard from someone on here once that the winter package included a heated steering wheel and heated side mirrors as well. I was never sure if I had the winter package or not because no one ever told me exactly what it consisted of, but seeing as I have both the headlight washers and heated seats, it'd be cool to know I have a heated steering wheel as well (if of course that really is something that exists)

Old 06-20-2009, 02:40 AM
Administrator

No heated steering wheel as far as i know, though I believe you're right about the heated mirrors. IIRC it also includes heated lock cylinders, a ski sack, and the ambient temperature gauge in the dash (96-99.5)

OP:

I have a 12V 2.8 and ghost is right, if well-cared-for, its pretty much bullet proof. If you're swapping a 30V, just make sure the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, pulleys, etc. has been taken care of and you should be good.

welcome!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:57 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
No heated steering wheel as far as i know, though I believe you're right about the heated mirrors. IIRC it also includes heated lock cylinders, a ski sack, and the ambient temperature gauge in the dash (96-99.5)
Huh. Guess I have the winter package then. Go figure. I thought the heated seats were just standard equipment with these higher end luxury cars, as well as the ambient temp gauge. No one ever advertised to me that my car had this; not the guy I bought it from, not any mechanic that's looked at it, not even the original manual that came in the glovebox said I had it, so I figured I didn't and never knew what consisted of the package til now. Cool.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Jason - Welcome to the forum, hopefully you find some good information on here. It'll be helpful in the future if you put your car year/engine/etc in your signature like a lot of us have. You can find that under user CP at the top.