B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lone_star_dsl
I really appreciate the offer but it would probably cost more to mail it back and forth than it would just to build one. Plus, I know it's going to be one of those things that gets used multiple times.
That's the spirit! The DIY I linked in my first post was the exact one I used, and it works marvelously. The only thing that you'll want to be mindful of that isn't covered in detail in that post is to make sure the JBweld is completely dry before you try to use it. I'd wait 24 hours if you have the time.

Also, only use about 10psi when you pressurize the intake tract. If you're chipped, use whatever your tune is written for plus one or two psi. If you try to hammer 30psi through the stock intake tract you're going to create more problems than you'll solve. Once it's pressurized, just listen for the hissing.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

I fabbed up a leak tester and found a crack in the hot side tube that runs to the intercooler. Replaced the tube and found no other leaks.

Unfortunately, there still seems to be a lack of boost.

Last winter I had a shop look at the car and they fixed a few vacuum leaks and had the car running great. My wife and father-in-law picked the car up and the mechanic pointed out a vacuum line to them which he said may come loose in the future. I think that line is the culprit but unfortunately, my father-in-law can't remember exactly where it was.

He knows that it's just a few inches under the intake manifold and towards the rear of the engine. We both looked for it but I'm just going to take it back to the mechanic and have him show ME exactly where it is.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the suction jet pump or one of the related hoses or check valves. In the image below, the large aluminum thing in the foreground is the intake manifold, the black plastic to the left is the engine cover, and the plastic tubing in the top 1/3 of the picture is the suction jet pump and associated plumbing.