B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

new member with some questions and problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Default new member with some questions and problems

So I have 1999.0 A4 1.8TQM with just over 77000 miles. I have had it for just under and have done all of the oil changes and kept everything maintained. Had a few problems that my warranty covered and everything has been good til last week.

I was driving down the street and the ABS and the E-Brake light came on and the car started beeping at me. I took it in and had the brakes checked and everything is fine but they keep beeping at me. Called the Audi dealership and they said its the ABS but they cant even look at until monday. Is this a major fix and if so is it something I can do myself?

Secondly my airbag light came on and will not go off. I am assuming that means my airbags aren't working or whatever. Again major fix?

Lastly I had my car looked at a few months ago and was told that the rear control arm is going out. Can I replace this myself?

With all of these problems coming up at once is it worth it to fix them or should I try and sell the car and start over? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by noxtempusumbra
So I have 1999.0 A4 1.8TQM with just over 77000 miles. I have had it for just under and have done all of the oil changes and kept everything maintained. Had a few problems that my warranty covered and everything has been good til last week.

I was driving down the street and the ABS and the E-Brake light came on and the car started beeping at me. I took it in and had the brakes checked and everything is fine but they keep beeping at me. Called the Audi dealership and they said its the ABS but they cant even look at until monday. Is this a major fix and if so is it something I can do myself?

Secondly my airbag light came on and will not go off. I am assuming that means my airbags aren't working or whatever. Again major fix?

Lastly I had my car looked at a few months ago and was told that the rear control arm is going out. Can I replace this myself?

With all of these problems coming up at once is it worth it to fix them or should I try and sell the car and start over? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Ok your abs module has probably taken a dump. If it's the module they are expensive. Some people live with it, but that means no anti lock brakes. Common problem. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec116.shtml

Your airbag light....Would you guess it...Another sort of common issue.
It could be caused by the plug under the seat which needs cleaning as the connection can get dirty or loose.
Now the problem you have is that you are going to need to have the light rest by VAGCOM as it will not go out now till its done.
http://www.ross-tech.com/
Navigate to where it asks which one do I need or something like that. Your looking at $250 to $300. These are worth it in the long run.

Your control arm....It depends if you can turn a wrench half way decent. If so then this should be possible. Look up ecs tuning for the pricing on your year. If you decide to take your car in and have them do everything be prepared to be pissed man. When these cars start to get issues they will drain your bank account like an old lady at the mall..