B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New member looking at some B5 A4's

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

You start off with a faster car when you get a 30V V6 and you get power seats
IMO the V6 sounds good with the magnaflow 14862.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
They already are slow

The 2.8 can sound pretty good with a custom catback exhaust (magnaflow muffler 14815/6 and a different resonator). With the 1.8T and 2.7TT you're looking more into performance.

Addicted, if you're willing to wrench on it a couple times (which you probably are with a built Blazer), then the 1.8T or the 2.7TT are probably where you want to go. If you're looking to wrench a little less and don't care about speed, the 2.8 is your best option. Then look into the 12v versus the 30v option. Both will look good, but the facelifted versions have a few extra nice features that the pre-facelift versions lack, though you can always upgrade, just more work. The split was in 1999.
Originally Posted by vgo
You start off with a faster car when you get a 30V V6 and you get power seats
IMO the V6 sounds good with the magnaflow 14862.
Thanks for the replys guys. I did a little looking and they both sound great, just depends what sound you like.

I will probably end up going with the 1.8t because the potential horsepower options are always nice to have. The only problem is a lot of the ones around here have 150k+ miles on them, which isnt bad but the first thing i would do is replace the timing belt and thermostat and maybe the water pump, thats only if i dont know when it was done last and by who. I already found that very nice how-to on replacing the timing belt and water pump and it doesnt look too intimidating.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AddictedToB5A4
Thanks for the replys guys. I did a little looking and they both sound great, just depends what sound you like.

I will probably end up going with the 1.8t because the potential horsepower options are always nice to have. The only problem is a lot of the ones around here have 150k+ miles on them, which isnt bad but the first thing i would do is replace the timing belt and thermostat and maybe the water pump, thats only if i dont know when it was done last and by who. I already found that very nice how-to on replacing the timing belt and water pump and it doesnt look too intimidating.
"maybe change the water pump" ?

Never **** around with anything that has to do with the timing job...you only do it once,every 60,000 miles,so chang EVERYTHING,skimping on any component of a timing belt kit will get pistons,bent! when one timing component fails,like the water pump,dampener,roller,tensioner ect...the whole engine goes with it...

Be smart and change as much as you can,not as least as you can.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Is rockauto.com a good place to get parts? and also what brand are Audi's picky about? like i know my Blazer doesnt agree with anything besides Delphi or AC Delco.

On Rock Auto theres a kit that includes the water pump by AC Delco for $210 and theres ony by SKF for $280, not sure what the difference is but those prices dont sound bad.. i was figuring it would be in the $500 range.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear
Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

I think I've used rockauto before.. Pelican parts has treated me well in the past also as far as generic autoparts websites. Here's a couple sites more focused on audi/vw/german/euro vehicles.

Ecstuning.com
fcpgroton.com
achtuning.com
awe-tuning.com
Jhmotorsports.com
mjmautohaus.com
ringer-racing.com
germanautoparts.com

I'd go for a facelifted B5. You get Foglights, one piece projector headlights, updated door handles, side markers, badge placement, full size passenger side mirror, different center consol (99.5 single din, 2000+ double din), I'm sure there are a few things I'm forgetting.

I think the 2.8's are the only ones that came with real leather seats which are obviously more desirable than pleather. You should look out for B5's with the sport cloth seats as those are pretty sweet.

I definitely think the 2.8 sounds better than the 1.8t but that's just my opinion. The 1.8t sounds like just another 4cyl turbo to me, nothing special.

If you're worried about power, the 2.8 is faster stock for stock, but like some others said theres really no aftermarket support. Nothing compared to the 1.8t or the 2.7t.
If you have snow don't even consider a FWD model. I live in Florida, so it really isn't an issue for me.

One think to be aware of especially when buying a 1.8t is the sludge issues. Read a little about that and what to watch out for. If the oil pickup screen gets clogged you could have major oil pressure problems = major engine problems.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by IanWPB
I think I've used rockauto before.. Pelican parts has treated me well in the past also as far as generic autoparts websites. Here's a couple sites more focused on audi/vw/german/euro vehicles.

Ecstuning.com
fcpgroton.com
achtuning.com
awe-tuning.com
Jhmotorsports.com
mjmautohaus.com
ringer-racing.com
germanautoparts.com

I'd go for a facelifted B5. You get Foglights, one piece projector headlights, updated door handles, side markers, badge placement, full size passenger side mirror, different center consol (99.5 single din, 2000+ double din), I'm sure there are a few things I'm forgetting.

I think the 2.8's are the only ones that came with real leather seats which are obviously more desirable than pleather. You should look out for B5's with the sport cloth seats as those are pretty sweet.

I definitely think the 2.8 sounds better than the 1.8t but that's just my opinion. The 1.8t sounds like just another 4cyl turbo to me, nothing special.

If you're worried about power, the 2.8 is faster stock for stock, but like some others said theres really no aftermarket support. Nothing compared to the 1.8t or the 2.7t.
If you have snow don't even consider a FWD model. I live in Florida, so it really isn't an issue for me.

One think to be aware of especially when buying a 1.8t is the sludge issues. Read a little about that and what to watch out for. If the oil pickup screen gets clogged you could have major oil pressure problems = major engine problems.
Thanks for the info man, sorry for the late reply, this must have slipped through the thread cracks before i could catch it. But as far as the face lift goes i really had no idea there was a difference till i started looking closer.

I found a 1997 2.8 quattro with a bad tranny (auto) and 130k miles for $1000. im really thinking about getting it to either fix and drive or fix and sell. But i have no idea how complicated it is to swap the tranny on these things. time wouldnt be an issue and neither would space, so is this doable for a good DIY'er? i tried looking through here and really couldnt find anything, but then again i didnt look very hard.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 AM

If you have never worked on a b5 its hard.
If you have never worked on cars its harder.

I just did a clutch job on jack stands, it wasn't that hard but I have worked on Audi's before. For a new owner i would say stay away

Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

There are a couple 5spd swap threads on audizine that may have some relevant info for you.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM

if your swapping yyou should step up to a six speed

Quick Reply: New member looking at some B5 A4's