B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New member looking at some B5 A4's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
Both of the B5's in the photos you posted are 1.8Ts
I almost asked how you knew that.. till i realized you could see the intercoolers lol

But yeah i dont have a problem following a DIY, i consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. Im always working/modding on my Blazer, and because the Audi would be my second car i wouldnt need to worry about relying on it, so the 1.8 wouldnt be a problem. I know the 2.8 can have problems as well but the 1.8 naturally is more prone to them with the turbo.

I also work part time at a pass on the weekends so i have to drive in the snow every weekend for about 5 months in a row, but thats also what i have the Blazer for.

I also dont know anything about lowering a car, but I lifted my Blazer, so i cant imagine lowering is a whole lot different if you only go a couple inches or so.

thanks for the replys

Old 04-21-2012, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AddictedToB5A4
I almost asked how you knew that.. till i realized you could see the intercoolers lol

But yeah i dont have a problem following a DIY, i consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. Im always working/modding on my Blazer, and because the Audi would be my second car i wouldnt need to worry about relying on it, so the 1.8 wouldnt be a problem. I know the 2.8 can have problems as well but the 1.8 naturally is more prone to them with the turbo.

I also work part time at a pass on the weekends so i have to drive in the snow every weekend for about 5 months in a row, but thats also what i have the Blazer for.

I also dont know anything about lowering a car, but I lifted my Blazer, so i cant imagine lowering is a whole lot different if you only go a couple inches or so.

thanks for the replys
You can also tell with there being no chrome around the windows.

For lowering id do coilovers, there a bit more expensive but you can get racelands for 400$ and then you can adjust the higher for the winter.
The luxury of quattro is so awesome, i would never go without it again.
Good to see a fellow Washingtonian, not to many people from the west coast are on here, But everyone is much friendlier on here than a more local scene like nwquattro and definitely a lot more knowledgeable.
I live in Renton, Washington.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HulkB5
You can also tell with there being no chrome around the windows.
That too ^ lol. I'm not sure the black B5 has wider tires in the rear though. I think he is running a wider wheel in general, but it's hard to tell. Very nicely stanced

Just want you to be aware of what's out there so you're buying the right Audi so you have to potential to go fastER if you want to down the road.

Wait until you drive a quattro in the snow. Of course you wouldn't be going crazy in inclement weather, but there seems to be a lot of control, especially with 2-5 inches on the ground. It's forgiving if you slide the rear end out.

Last edited by Skythe; 04-21-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Administrator

12V stance.

Name:  nickbrob.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  33.3 KB

<3

Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

yeah that 96 quattro took corners like a dream. My uncle owns a newer rs4 Avant and that thing is unbelievably amazing to drive, its a beast in the snow as well. And yeah the interior on the FWD was kind of ehh... i like the s4 steering wheel on the quattros.

Hulk: Good to know im not the only one! lol but yeah these forums are very helpful especially on the more well populated VBulletin forums. Im almost a moderator over on the Blazer forum and everything you could possibly need to know is on there. And same goes for this forum im sure, there probably isnt a problem about an Audi on here that hasnt been discussed. The search feature is definitely your friend.

But as far as lowering goes, those adjustable coil overs dont sound like a bad idea.. Ill have to look into that more. But first i gotta wait for the right A4 to show up in my area I really do like the 2.8 V6 but i know after i own it for a while i know i will want to make it faster being 18 and all.. and i dont think intake and exhaust will do it for me. so i might have to go with a 1.8, but then again the 2.8 will sound a lot better than a 1.8 with maybe a 40 series flowmaster

Decisions decisions...

Last edited by AddictedToB5A4; 04-21-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 AM

yeah that 96 quattro took corners like a dream. My uncle owns a newer rs4 Avant and that thing is unbelievably amazing to drive, its a beast in the snow as well. And yeah the interior on the FWD was kind of ehh... i like the s4 steering wheel on the quattros.

Hulk: Good to know im not the only one! lol but yeah these forums are very helpful especially on the more well populated VBulletin forums. Im almost a moderator over on the Blazer forum and everything you could possibly need to know is on there. And same goes for this forum im sure, there probably isnt a problem about an Audi on here that hasnt been discussed. The search feature is definitely your friend.

But as far as lowering goes, those adjustable coil overs dont sound like a bad idea.. Ill have to look into that more. But first i gotta wait for the right A4 to show up in my area I really do like the 2.8 V6 but i know after i own it for a while i know i will want to make it faster being 18 and all.. and i dont think intake and exhaust will do it for me. so i might have to go with a 1.8, but then again the 2.8 will sound a lot better than a 1.8 with maybe a 40 series flowmaster

Decisions decisions...
this whole post is wrong

theres so many things that corner better than an audi
FWD has no control over the interior
the s4 steering wheel your referring to is the sport three spoke wheel
the 1.8 will sound better with an exhaust, v6s are not the best sounding engine by any means

Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
this whole post is wrong

the 1.8 will sound better with an exhaust, v6s are not the best sounding engine by any means
I think the OP was stating that he liked how the Audi he test drove and the RS4 handle in general. And that the FWD he looked at didn't have as nice of an interior compared to what another car might have.

Any car with a well fabricated exhaust will sound good depending on your personal taste, regardless of the number of cylinders IMHO

Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
this whole post is wrong

Well man keep in mind that i drive a lifted Chevy Blazer so when im talking about cornering and performance im comparing it to that.. so of course an Audi will perform better and handle like a dream compared to the Blazer and im well aware that there are better things out there.

When i was talking about the FWD's interior i meant it was in crap condition, not that it was different. And it also didnt have the 3 spoke wheel (heard it called the s4 wheel somewhere)

And for exhaust im going by what i have looked up and heard. and that all depends on your opinion i guess. maybe its just that i never heard a 1.8 with the right exhaust on it. But it would make sense to me that the 2.8 would sound better because its a bigger engine with slightly bigger pistons. But then again the 1.8 has higher compression which also plays into it. I like a throatier sound to a car exhaust, not muscle car sound (Blazer has that), and also not a sound that i can replicate with my blender.

Ive really only began to do research on these cars, so for all i know the 1.8 really does sound 10x better than the 2.8, maybe i just haven't heard enough of them. Ill look right now.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Well man keep in mind that i drive a lifted Chevy Blazer so when im talking about cornering and performance im comparing it to that.. so of course an Audi will perform better and handle like a dream compared to the Blazer and im well aware that there are better things out there.

When i was talking about the FWD's interior i meant it was in crap condition, not that it was different. And it also didnt have the 3 spoke wheel (heard it called the s4 wheel somewhere)

And for exhaust im going by what i have looked up and heard. and that all depends on your opinion i guess. maybe its just that i never heard a 1.8 with the right exhaust on it. But it would make sense to me that the 2.8 would sound better because its a bigger engine with slightly bigger pistons. But then again the 1.8 has higher compression which also plays into it. I like a throatier sound to a car exhaust, not muscle car sound (Blazer has that), and also not a sound that i can replicate with my blender.

Ive really only began to do research on these cars, so for all i know the 1.8 really does sound 10x better than the 2.8, maybe i just haven't heard enough of them. Ill look right now.
I think the 2.7tt sound better than a 1.8t, i'm not much of a fan of 2.8l just because people usually just straight pipe them to make them slow and stupidly loud.

Last edited by HulkB5; 04-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HulkB5
I think the 2.7tt sound better than a 1.8t, i'm not much of a fan of 2.8l just because people usually just straight pipe them to make them slow and stupidly loud.
They already are slow

The 2.8 can sound pretty good with a custom catback exhaust (magnaflow muffler 14815/6 and a different resonator). With the 1.8T and 2.7TT you're looking more into performance.

Addicted, if you're willing to wrench on it a couple times (which you probably are with a built Blazer), then the 1.8T or the 2.7TT are probably where you want to go. If you're looking to wrench a little less and don't care about speed, the 2.8 is your best option. Then look into the 12v versus the 30v option. Both will look good, but the facelifted versions have a few extra nice features that the pre-facelift versions lack, though you can always upgrade, just more work. The split was in 1999.

Quick Reply: New member looking at some B5 A4's