B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New here: Got some important questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear
Default New here: Got some important questions

~ !!! UPGRADED !!! ~

Currently i gotta 01 2.8Q my dads selling it and soon (within 2-3weeks) im getting a 99-01 1.8Tquattro stick, white on white.

Now for the questions: =PP

- I heard/read that their is 2 types of 1.8T one with 150hp and one with 170hp is this true, if yes please explain?

Once i get the car my first mod is going to be a chip & dv.

- chips: Giac and speedtuning: why is gaic better/cost more? would i want to do the 500+ dollar investment into giac? because i want my rev limited to go up (i heard giac gives 7100rpm limit)
- dv: so far i read and from my understanding getting an aftermarket dv is gunna do the trick, doesnt matter which one... is this true? (if not, which is the best?) sounds to me like it comes down to how much you wanna spend.

- intake: cold air or hot air? name some brand names that people liked.

- suspension: Ill be getting H&R springs... but idk if i should get racing or sports springs. difference? suggested?

- brakes: do the stock 1.8T brakes do the trick? (ill be under 300hp, for quite sometime 6-8months)

- exhaust: if i do put on an exhaust it wont be just the muffler. ill get full: downpipe down (no cats)
which full exhaust is a good investment? because i want a good sound and i want performance.

- turbo: i dont want my lagg to change. i'd like it to hit at the same spot as always mabye a little bit later, but not much!
so just an upgrade from the stock (not too much bigger) wat do you suggest?

- intercooler: possibly a fmic if not then an upgraded smic.

- rims: since my cars going to be white. i was thinking about black rims with chrome lip.

- tints: rims gotta match so 20% tint all around (except front windshield)

- lights and such: probably going to get 6k xenons with clear corner lights. and ill most likely tint the rear lights.

- shortshifter: which one is good? (i have NOOOO clue)

- clutch: i will be dropping clutch often... which is a good clutch/flywheel set-up that is reasonably cheap but i wont burn it. =D possibly get some hp to the wheels with this upgrade! =DDDD

- motor/trans mounts: do i need them? i heard the the trans mounts make me shift faster...

well if anyone can help me with ANY of these... ill be VERY greatful! had a bugeey rex so if anyone needs help thr, i did a lil bit with that one. =D

Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New here: Got some important question

My first question is most definitely the most important. wouldnt want my pops to buy me a 150! o.O

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear

01 and up is 170 hp, 00 and earlier is 150 hp. pretty much everything else is up to you and really depends on what your ultimate hp goal is for the car. Southbend makes a good quality clutch. we are currently putting together a big front brake group buy to save a little on A8 rotors and TT caliper carriers.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

thanks a lot

so...

- the last year they make B5's is 01 isnt it?

so i'd have to get the "newest" B5?

- a8 rotors and TT calipers huh? all 4 wheels? what does it come with? price (you probably dont know it yet... but give me a rough estimate)

Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Sicknasty

hey everybody.

Currently i gotta 01 2.8Q my dads selling it and soon (within 2-3weeks) im getting a 99-01 1.8Tquattro white on white.

Now for the questions: =PP

- I heard/read that their is 2 types of 1.8T one with 150hp and one with 170hp is this true, if yes please explain? changed it 01, due to a slightly better turbo. when you get chipped the difference becomes negligible. they both put out ~200hp.

Once i get the car my first mod is going to be a chip & dv.

- chips: Giac and speedtuning: why is gaic better/cost more? would i want to do the 500+ dollar investment into giac? with speedtuning you have to send them your ecu, so you wont be able to drive your cars for a few days, and if you ever have problems with your chip it'll be a lot more complicated and require even more downtime. aftermarket support is important for chips. and no one has dyno'd a speedtuning chip yet so their claims are just that, claims. im willing to bet GIAC puts out more power.
- dv: so far i read and from my understanding getting an aftermarket dv is gunna do the trick, doesnt matter which one... is this true? (if not, which is the best?) sounds to me like it comes down to how much you wanna spend.
yeah most are the exact same. just make sure the one you get is serviceable and comes with the different springs
- brakes: do the stock 1.8T brakes do the trick? (ill be under 300hp, for quite sometime 6-8months)
yup. you wont need to change them unless you go BT. if you want better ones tho, the cheapest way to do it, is A8 fronts and S4 rears
- exhaust: if i do put on an exhaust it wont be just the muffler. ill get full: downpipe down (no cats)
which full exhaust is a good investment? because i want a good sound and i want performance.
i have techtonics. its a slightly bigger borla cat-back. check my newbie guide (link is in sig) for comparisons of exhausts
- turbo: i dont want my lagg to change. i'd like it to hit at the same spot as always mabye a little bit later, but not much!
so just an upgrade from the stock (not too much bigger) wat do you suggest?
read my newbie guide and my BT thread at the top of the B5 section. gt2x or gtrs is problt what your looking for
- intercooler: possibly a fmic if not then an upgraded smic.
ebay fmic. either godspeed or cxracing
- rims: since my cars going to be white. i was thinking about black rims with chrome lip.

- tints: rims gotta match so 20% tint all around (except front windshield)

- lights and such: probably going to get 6k xenons with clear corner lights. and ill most likely tint the rear lights.

- shortshifter: which one is good? (i have NOOOO clue)
ebay. it costs 30 shipped and is an exact replica of b&m (costs way more) or you could go with JHM which is the best
- clutch: i will be dropping clutch often... which is a good clutch/flywheel set-up that is reasonably cheap but i wont burn it. =D possibly get some hp to the wheels with this upgrade! =DDDD
southbend

well if anyone can help me with ANY of these... ill be VERY greatful! had a bugeey rex so if anyone needs help thr, i did a lil bit with that one. =D

Old 03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

well thank you very much.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

which chip will increase my rev limiter?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
5th Gear

all of them usually do. i know GIAC does, not sure about speedtuning

Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

speedtuning ups it to 7000

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM

7000 uh? damn thats nuts.. i never push my car that hard... turbo starts dying out around 5.5k anyway

Quick Reply: New here: Got some important questions